St Christopher's Camden

St Christopher's Camden Rates and Deals

St Christopher's Camden London Reviews

signedcutie signedcu…
Overprised for value May 07, 2010
I rated the value pretty low because I didn't exactly have the best experience there. Even though check-in times were 2pm, we arrived a little earlier and wanted to see if we could leave our bags there while we explored for the rest of the day. First off, it was difficult to try to figure out where we could find the reception. The bar entrance was closed because if was only 10am and the second entranced required a hostel key. There was 2 phone numbers that you could call, but each were scratched off. Finally, someone coming out of the hostel let us in.

At the reception area, one particular staff member was not very helpful at all, he didn't say very much to us. There was also numerous dirty dishes at the reception area.

We finally were served by another staff member and he secured a reservation for my traveling friend. After we were aloud to bring or bags to the "holding" area. Basically it was a locked storage area for the bar where they kept used paint cans and empty beer bottles. My friend said it smelled really bad, of course I couldn't comment on that because I had a cold and couldn't smell anything. I guess I can complain too much though because we didn't have to pay to store or bags.

Location: was great if you want to explore Camden Town. It's a great shopping area for tourist; however, having being there now, I do not think I would return to this area at night. Especially if your a solo traveler.

Cleanliness: Apart from the description provided above of the "holding area" for our bags, I walked into my room in the afternoon to find absolutely no linen on my bed. Weird considering I returned after the 2pm check-in time specified. So I had to seek assistance which that regard with the staff downstairs. Before even gathering linen, he came upstairs to make sure that what I was saying was true! That being said, he was very nice about it though.

Safety, I guess it as safe as any other hostel. You need a key card to get into the hostel; however, I personally do not feel that the area is the safest place at night.

The beds were ok considering. However, you only received one overly compressed thin pillow!

Loudness: well it isn't too bad considering it's on top of a bar. Mind you I was utterly exhausted the night I slept there.

The one nice thing was that there was an ensuite bathroom and shower. But you have to watch out for the showers because the direction of the shower head is not proper and I ended up getting all my dry clothes we because I did not get in quick enough!

Overall, I think it was overpriced. I think they charged me 27 pounds to stay there on the weekend. I know London hostels cost a lot, but I had stayed previous nights at a hostel that was ten times better.
View of hostel and the attached bar
lovely_lori88 lovely_l…
Jan 20, 2008
So I am a fan of St. Christophers so when I couldn’t stay at ISH any longer I decided to book here. Also because it’s on the same tube line as my flat so it wouldn’t be too hard to move all my bags and what not. This is my 4th St. Christophers I’ve stayed at and sadly I have to say it is by far the worst. In general it just smelled like sewer and it was just kind of grungy. And one of my roomies was staying there for 6 weeks and she said when she was really sick and stayed in bed she saw the cleaner use a cloth with DISH SOAP to clean the toilet and then use the same one for the sink...gross!!! I was in a 6 bed dorm but there was lots of space. We had our own toilet and a separate shower but the shower was just in a closet it seemed and there was no fan so there was mildew because it was always moist in there and it smelled. And it also made the room constantly have this kind of damp feeling. Bar downstairs but I never ventured there as I was going to ISH to hang with other people. Staff were all really friendly and helped me carry my bags as I have a lot. There is a chill out room downstairs but it’s 2 couches with gross blankets over them and internet is 1 pound for 10 minutes!!! What?? Just walk down the street about 2 minutes and there is a place that has 1 hour for 50p! Luggage storage available but it’s just a huge room so people could technically walk out with your stuff haha. Anyways stay here if you wanna be in the heart of Camden but I wouldn’t recommend it. Price was decent, average for London although I paid more on the Saturday as I was a late booker and it was the weekend.
Eric Eric
Mar 03, 2006
I like this St. Christopher's Inn because of the character of the surrounding locale. It is located on Camden High Street, which reminds me a lot of Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley, California. It is somewhat grungy, there are lots of characters walking around, and numerous interesting shops. Granted, this may not be for everyone, but it was an interesting place to say the least.The hostel facility itself was fine. The rooms and showers are pretty clean. I was kind of worried that the loud music coming from the bar on the first floor would keep me up at night, but in practice they turn off the music around 1AM or 2AM, and even before that it wasn't too loud or obnoxious. Staff is friendly and seems to have a very fun backpacker vibe to it. There is a cool lounge/room area downstairs where you can meet up with all the other travelers.
Aurora78 says:
Hi Eric. Thanks for the recommendation. It's still a long way to go to May 2011, but it's nice to get recommendations such as this and start planning. Cheers!
Posted on: Nov 19, 2010
anjok says:
great. i think i'll use it. thanks a lot.
Posted on: Oct 25, 2007