St. Charles Streetcar

New Orleans, Louisiana

St. Charles Streetcar New Orleans Reviews

wagslikeadog wagslike…
Overrated Public Transit...Not a Tourist Attraction Apr 24, 2011
I was motivated to ride the St. Charles Streetcar based on rave reviews from others on another travel website (who's name I'll not dare utter here).

We boarded the streetcar on Poydras St. and rode it west thru the Garden District, past Loyola University and Audubon Park to the end of the line past riverbend. It was touted to offer great views of the big, old houses and venerable Garden District, but the car was packed full, and we couldn't get a seat until the return leg of the journey back into the French Quarter.

The cost is $1.25 each way and that's all it's worth. The "scenery" isn't anything special to write home about. I wanted to get a seat (on the uncomfortable wooden benches) to snap photos of the houses, but in reality, I was hard pressed to find things WORTH photographing en-route.

The round-trip is about 90 minutes in length. There are much more interesting ways to spend an hour and a half in NOLA. So unless you want to use it to actually travel from one place to another and not just as a tourist attraction, like we did...My advice: Give it a "pass".
St. Charles Streetcar
Inside streetcar
Looking down the line
Historic plaque
vances says:
Road the St. Charles streetcar to Tipitina's and back one night in '87. Some interesting characters aboard at night! Agree with the "pass" recommendation...
Posted on: Apr 28, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About St. Charles Streetcar

Bus stop mishap
I arrived in New Orleans yesterday afternoon.  After getting settled into university housing at Loyola, I decided to take an impromptu tour of the city.  The first obstacle was ge…New Orleans is well known for its streetcars.  Prior to Hurricane Katrina there were three operating lines: Canal St. St. Charles
Last Full Day in the Crescent City
I woke up with my feet just aching from all the walking done the day before. I wasn't really sure why, as I had decent shoes and have done plenty of walking around places before. Maybe I'm just start…St. Charles streetcar through the Garden District to check out some of the big, old houses and experience a piece of New Orleans

Check New Orleans Hotel Deals