St Bartolomeu Church

239 825 154

St Bartolomeu Church Coimbra Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Nice church Nov 29, 2010
Although the origins of the church date back to the tenth century, it was heavily restored in the twelfth and eighteenth centuries respectively.

The location is not too far from the city’s Santa Cruz monastery, and is a little tucked away from the square it faces.

The interior is a wonderful combination of clean white walls and a heavy dose of baroque art. The main altarpiece is crammed with detail and I found it to be a little too imposing. The chapels are very beautiful.

I’m not sure whether the church attracts a huge amount of worshippers or tourists at all. It was a quiet afternoon when I went there though. However, I did like the presence of real flowers within the church and their events list looked fairly full.

Photographs are not allowed, and I was very politely asked not to take any more after taking a couple. However, they are not rude at all so don’t be afraid if you make the same faux pas!

If you are nearby, and have a short amount of time, I would make the effort to just take a quick look in here.

Check Coimbra Hotel Deals