St. Aidan's Church

St. Aidan's Church - The Grace Darling Memorial in the churchyard
St. Aidan's Church - Main altar in the church
St. Aidan's Church - Stained painting
St. Aidan's Church - Stained painting
St. Aidan's Church - Honestly, I'm not sure who this is!
St. Aidan's Church - Close up of the stained painting in Grace's name. It reads 'Grace Horsley Darling' with the date of the boat wreck
St. Aidan's Church - The churchyard

St. Aidan's Church Bamburgh Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Not the most spectacular, but the history is powerful! May 26, 2014
By itself, I'd like to say this is your average joe Church (for the tourist) as it offers nothing we've never seen before. Small town, imposing castle, tearooms and pubs and .... oh, wait, look - there's a Church! To be honest, given my poor planning on this trip, I didn't even know if it were worth going in. But I thought, well I'm here so might as well just peep in...

And I'm glad I did.

This church is powerful for two reasons - it's where the 'Darling' of the town is buried - Grace Darling. It's also the first place where St.Aiden (who brought Christianity to Northumbria) chose as the hotbed. The church is really quiet. You walk in and there's the banner as you walk in proclaiming the history but no mention of Grace Darling. Walk over to the yard and you see a shrine built in her name - complete with a metal oar lying on her shoulder.

Besides that, it was mostly "same old, same old" for the tourist but the size, silence and general history made this a special surprise for me.
Main altar in the church
The Grace Darling Memorial in the …
The churchyard