Sør-Varanger Museum

Kirkenes, Norway

Sør-Varanger Museum Kirkenes Reviews

davidx davidx
Unanticipated delight Apr 28, 2003
i see from the website, http://www.sor-varanger.museum.no/index.php?page_id=34&lang_id=2, that the museum has developed a lot since we were tere so I will only write about the two elements that were there when we went and gave us particular pleasure.

As you can tell from the Kirkenes entry in my 'Norwegian Coastal Voyage' blog, our visit there was only due to a process of elimination - the buse going in other directions were not of interest and there was a long time to kill.

I had never even heard of Jon Savio, a Sami artist who had a very sad life. The museum's extensive display of his works, mainly woodcuts, was stunning.

The other thing was even more unexpected. I am not a pacifist as such but that does not stop me hating war and museums that glamorise it. The display here of war in the Border Country did not glamorise or glorify but told it as it was. i was almost moved to tears by writings by school children who expressed sympathy for the German soldiers as well as their Norwegian enemies for having to cope with the arctic cold.
sarahsan says:
Once again you have been to a museum I have never heard of David. Must admit that I have never heard of Jon Savio either. Thanks for the review!
Posted on: Aug 09, 2010