Spurn Head

Withernsea, England

Spurn Head Withernsea Reviews

davidx davidx
Marvellous for much Dec 06, 2010
I like birds a lot - but I am not a twitcher. I like coastal walks - but with cliffs. Spurn is a twitchers' Paradise and there are absolutely no cliffs. It is, as far as England is concerned, really the back of beyond, So why did I enjoy my one visit there so much and why do I doubt whether I shall go again?

I went on my own in the car. By my standards it's too far for a day trip but I took the chance once when I was working and stayed over at Hull for a morning meeting. The weather was a bit on the grim side, heavy with a threat of thunder. Spurn Head is over 3 miles long but only about 175 feet wide for much of its length, a spit of land to the north of the Humber estuary jutting into the north sea.

I was in no danger, though at times the land has changed position in high wind, but it felt like an adventure. I didn't want it to end but was heartily relieved when it did. Contradictory? certainly and I think that's why it did impress so much - it was so very different from anywhere else.

As for going again, bird reserves have a problem for me - with 4 legs, a tail and a bark. At Spurn dogs are not allowed at all. I don't envisage circumstances in which we would want to go over there without Jezebel.

Compare Walkington Hotel Rates (10.8km away)

Spurn Head Map