Springfield, IL

Springfield, Illinois

Springfield, IL Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
City of Springfield, IL May 05, 2010
Springfield, Illinois, the capital city, is not what I would call a tourist destination, unless you are an Abraham Lincoln enthusiast. In that case, there are plenty of things to do, such as the Lincoln Museum and Library, the Lincoln Home, his tomb and the Old State Capitol.

The workings of state government can be watched at the Illinois State Capitol building, if you are interested in that (or the spectacle of Illinois government). If the legislature is in Session, there are public galleries in both houses to view the processess.

Downtown, the city shuts down in the afternoon and is pretty sparse on the weekends. Many cafes are closed. There is a bit of nightlife, a few random bars (Marly's, Floyd's, Brown's and the Alamo for example) but there is not a so-called scene by any means.

There aren't many entertainment venues; I guess there is the Prairie Convention Center, but I've lived here for 9 months and haven't heard the first thing about it.

Of course, there is a mall and shopping areas, but no notable shopping or boutiques of any sort.

Related Travel Blogs About Springfield, IL

After an awful Virgin Atlantic flight from Heathrow I finally landed in Chicago. This was the first day of my vacation and my planned Mid West road trip that I hoped would be the trip of a lifetime. …Springfield IL has a strange resemblence to Homers home town. Turned onto I72 towards Jacksonville and around 4 hours…
The Birthday Party (Part 1)
I guess one of the hardest things about leaving home - for a long period of time - is the relationships that you must leave behind.  For a time anyhow.  Friends, both those close to you and…Springfield Park or 'Spark' cafe.  Tom tackles a l'il ice cream and we all sit and relax…
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
March 10th Today we went to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It's what my dad wanted to do.It was pretty cool, as we drove on the tracks ourselves.Okay, ourselves, guided by an old man in a van.Ther…Springfield we drove onward to route 66 to Litchfield, IL where we stayed at the Comfort in, as it was still…

Check Springfield Hotel Deals