Spring Break Punta Cana

Sunscape Punta Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Spring Break Punta Cana Reviews

johnnyk johnnyk
Topless French beauties frolic in the surf Jan 26, 2010
Back in the States life has returned to normal. I recognize "normal" to be a most imprecise term. What exactly is normal anyway? Letters from Juniors frustrated school teachers, ludicrous statements from vote grubbing politicos, details of my good buddy's recent colonoscopy.

I'm ready for a vacation.

But wait. It is less than a week since I came back from one. Anyone want to hear about it? Nobody? I will attempt to sucker in a few gullible readers with an irresistible title. We shall see how that works.

Despite growing wings during the "party til you puke" 1970's I selected Punta Cana as a less raucous alternative to Cancun or Panama City. It helped that the Dominican Republic is a "rum island" since the wife still chides about the "pool bar incident" from last spring.

Whoever said "more is better" is grossly negligent in matters of Reposado Oro.

Where were we? Oh yes, Punta Cana.

The Sunscape Punta Cana is a beautifully landscaped all inclusive resort complex near the eastern end of the 40 mile Punta Cana resort strip. The beach is very nice and the palm studded beaches are its most identifying characteristic. Spring breakers wishing to party could chose pulsing fog shrouded dance clubbing, bars-a-plenty, or midnights on the beach with a gang of friends or just one.

The Dominicans are very friendly and a pocket roll of Georgies will assure tip top service during your stay. Canadian visitors fill the majority of rooms and our friendly neighbors to the north make good company.

The Canadian tour operators have been a major player in the proliferation of all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico. There is a good article about Transat in the March 2008 issue of Globe and Mail/Report on Business magazine. Anyone want to hear about the vertical integration of the Canadian travel industry?

Did I mention that bikini tops are optional on Punta Cana beaches.

We met some great people during our week at the resort. Shout out to just a few. Hola to Mike and Deb from Quebec(who dined with us to the sweet sounds of Trio las Estrellas Internacionales), and Carl(Mitch) and Chris, you crazy kids. Nice folks all, who shared the weeks fun with us.

The Dominican Republic, like all islands with a robust sugar cane crop, produce some fine Rum. The signature drink is a traditional rum concoction called Mamajuana. Roots and honey and rum and who knows what.

Enjoy it with someone you love, or someone you are trying to.

Outside the resort the standard of living is decidedly third world. Many locals make around US$250.00/month. One of our tour guides told me he is paid US$25.00/day. Tip them nicely if you can.

The resorts provide "good" jobs in an economy where tourism tops sugarcane as the top producing industry in this nation of nine million people.

When in Punta Cana a side trip to Saona Island is a worthwhile excursion. In addition to the run soaked catamaran ride to this tropical paradise you get a bus ride through the Dominican countryside that will having you make your next mortgage payment with a smile and a "whew".

Perhaps our semi-affluent status has rendered the wife and I far too spoiled to rave about the dining opportunities on an all-inclusive resort. I did not, however, return to Pennsylvania any thinner than I arrived. The beaches are nice, the Sunscape property was very nice, and the Dominican people were super. Enjoy this destination next time you seek sun and relaxation without the need for much adventure.
Beach at Sunscape
near La Romana
Saona Island paradise
rural Dominican electrical service
anhold says:
Be glad you left the country with your digestive system intact. Mine took several weeks to recover from the "non drinking water". I lived on the "all you can eat" bread and bottled water for half a week. Also keep and eye on your credit card statements. Mine kept on buying even after I was gone! Mine new rule is to never vacation in a 3rd world country! This was a free trip for business and I still would never go again!
Posted on: Mar 21, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Spring Break Punta Cana

Spring Break 2002
   Dominican Republic is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. I have never seen water so blue before, or sand so pure white and soft. It was gorgeous. The hotel I stayed at--…    Dominican Republic is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. I have never seen…

Check Punta Cana Hotel Deals