Spring Air

www.china-sss.com - 021-62515444

Spring Air Shanghai Reviews

mickeyd302 mickeyd3…
Spring Air -- Deep Discount China Airline Oct 02, 2010
I don't know about the rest of the world, but I know that I do not really need all of the frills that are given by most airlines. Frankly, I do not really need "complementary" beverage service on a short flight. Furthermore, I could do without a movie being shown as well, especially if it is some garbage like Catwoman. After all, doesn't most of the world have laptops by this time? What usually influences my decision of whom to fly with always comes down to price.

In China, there used to be quite a few airlines competing and giving very good rates. Unfortunately, most of the "smaller airlines" like China Southern have become just as expensive as big Air China especially for domestic travel.

Recently, I decided to take a vacation to the historical city of Xi'an from my current home in Shenyang. My plans were put together at the last moment. I considered taking the 28-30 hour train to get there at a cost around 1300rmb (about $200 US) for the round trip. I also looked at Ctrip (the Chinese version of Orbitz or Expedia) and the least expensive flight I could find was a little over 3000rmb (about $450 US) for a round trip with stopovers. I did a little research and came across Spring Air, a discount airline based out of Shanghai. The round trip from Shenyang to Xi'an was only 1100rmb (about $165US) with no stopovers.

The price was great. So great in fact that I was expecting to see the wings scotch-taped to the side of the airplane or for the pilot to turn off the engines and let the plane coast while it was in the air. None of those things happened. Each flight was on an Airbus A320. The regular seats are a little cramped and they did not lean back. On the way back to Shenyang, I upgraded to the best seats on the airplane (more room and leg space)for 50rmb($7.50 US) extra. It was well worth it.

During the flight, the cabin crew were not only serving the passengers but were also selling items as well. They had a big massive cart and sold Spring Air model airplanes along with electrical gadgets and many other items most people probably do not need. During these sell pitches, I found myself giving thanks to Steve Jobs and his engineers for inventing the iPod.

Still, I was just as comfortable on both legs of the flights as I have been on any other flight I have been on. Considering how much money I saved, those two flights might have been the best flights I have ever been on.

Overall, I was extremely happy with Spring Air. Aside from saving lots of money-- which makes everyone happy-- baggage claim was faster than I expected and the cabin crew was very nice.

The airline limits the total weight of check-in bags to 15kg, but you can pay extra if you have more. They do have flights from Shanghai to Hong Kong for the unheard cost of $29 if booked plenty of time in advance. They also have flights to and from Tokyo three times a week. Shanghai is their base and they have flights from there to almost 40 cities in China currently. I strongly recommend you check out Spring Air (www.china-sss.com) for any travel within China. They will save you some money.
sidewinder1985 says:
Good information. Thank you
Posted on: Aug 24, 2011
Jopin says:
Great review! How've you been, stranger?? Hope all is well. :)
Posted on: Oct 04, 2010
Chokk says:
Nice to know; I will make a note of it. Thanks
Posted on: Oct 03, 2010