Split Zoo

Split, Croatia

Split Zoo Reviews

James1985 James1985
Worst Zoo ever! May 17, 2008
Well unfortunately i have no photos of Split zoo,due to my camera running out of batteries on the way up to the zoo.But maybe thats a good thing.Because it was an utter disgrace and it should in my eyes be shit down immediately,but obviously Croatia dont have very rules and regs on how zoos should be run.

The zoo itself only cost the equivalent of a pound to get in but even that was asking much.The zoo was tiny and it took us around 10 minutes to get around at a push.Ive been to zoos where animals have bigger enclosures than the whole zoo.

The bear enclosure was tiny and houses three huge bears that were being hosed down when we were there.The wolves cage was even smaller and there was around 4 wolves in there and in my opinion and animal like that should have room to roam.

Then there was cleary ill ostriches and vultures,and a severly ill looking monkey and a mandrill in a box almost.

This zoo is an utter disgrace and i urge people not to go here so that this zoo shuts down soon and the animals can hopefully be re-housed and not put down.
James1985 says:
because Croatia isnt in the EU i reckon!
Posted on: Sep 25, 2011
bearnardbear says:
I compleatly agree. myself and my friend are travelling through Europe. a compleat an utter disgrace .
firstly the tiger limping around the smallest cage ive ever seen a tiger in, two wolves in another small enclosure both missing the tops of there ears and bleeding with flies flying around the wounds, unbelievable the cages didn't look like they had ever been cleaned stagnant water and no room for the bears, a monkey that was so over weight he looked like he was going to have a heart attack.
why in the name of humanity is this place still open.
Posted on: Sep 25, 2011
stacey0204 stacey02…
Worst zoo I've ever been to May 17, 2008
Split zoo is located at the top of a very steep hill from the old town. It costs the equivalent of £1 to go in and is like stepping in to someones backgarden with a collection of animals. There is a small range of animals including bears, vultures, ostriches and monkeys however the animals look very poorly looked after and are crammed into tiny cages that do not appear very safe. There is also meant to be tigers in the zoo but all to be seen was an empty cage so whether they exist or not is unknown. Overall this place is really not worth the walk up (although the views of Split are worth the climb) and should be closed down for the animals sake.
motacek2 says:
great job!!!
Posted on: Jun 18, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Split Zoo

Lets Split!!
People we met here that made our trip better: Sarah,Laura (Usa),Tasha,Jenna,Chrissy(Canada),Alison(Australia) Acoomodation: Split hostel Finally the day had arrived that our eastern europe trip …Split zoo,and for £1 per person whos complaining.............I was!!Firstly my batteries had ran out on my phone…
Day Three: Cedar Point Day of Awesome
                The morning of the epic day of the roller coaster riding began promptly at seven am. I was woken up by my …split off to go to the petting zoo while Nick, my dad and Jackie rode Thunder Mountain and I watched…

Check Split Hotel Deals