Split Rock Lighthouse

3755 Split Rock Lighthouse Road Two Harbors, Beaver Bay, MN, USA

Split Rock Lighthouse Beaver Bay Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
A lighthouse, hiking, biking and camping Aug 09, 2005
Split Rock Lighthouse State Park is known for its historic lighthouse sitting atop a basalt outcrop overlooking Lake Superior. The lighthouse was built in 1909 after several shipwrecks within a few miles of he Split Rock River. Tours of the lighthouse are available for an additional fee.

The park has 14.5 miles of hiking, biking and cross country ski trails. A paved trail follows along the shore and has access to the water and the paved Gitchi Gami State Trail runs along the Highway 61 on the other side of the park. The park also has several campsites, but make reservations early. The park also has access to the Lake Superior Hiking Trail.

Update 5/13/15 - I have visited this park several times since my initial review and there have been some updates here. Most notably, the park created a handicapped accessible, wide gravel trail down to the rocky beach. There are also some picnic tables and a couple of picnic shelters along this trail.

I stopped up at the lighthouse after hours. You can visit the grounds after hours for free, but only during daylight. I walked up to the lighthouse, but obviously you couldn't go in any of the buildings or the visitor center. I also camped again at the cart-in campground, but that is a separate review. This park does have some great camping and nice hiking trails. I have hiked out to the old corundum mine and also up on top of Day Hill. This park is definitely worth visiting even if you don't want to visit the lighthouse.
Split Rock Lighthouse from rock be…
Split Rock lighthouse and basalt
Split Rock lighthosue
my family by the lighthouse (2008)
leeanderthal says:
For information on Split Rock Lighthouse Historic Site, and a map of trails and where to get the really good photos, go to www.mnhs.org/splitrock.
Posted on: Nov 10, 2008
rotorhead85 says:
I'll have to get the kayak up there!
Posted on: Nov 09, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Split Rock Lighthouse

Split Rock Lighthouse and the rocky shore
Many a lighthouse lover has stopped at this famous lighthouse.  Me, personally I'm not into lighthouses.  I've never taken the lighthouse tour because I don't want to pay for something I'm … Many a lighthouse lover has stopped at this famous lighthouse.  Me, personally I'm not into lighthouses.  I…

Check Beaver Bay Hotel Deals