Spitzen Gebel

Spitzen Gebel - Inside the bar
Spitzen Gebel - Clean glasses

Spitzen Gebel Bremen Reviews

Chokk Chokk
An original bar with some strange stuff being poured out of a lantern Jul 20, 2012
Sometimes you just walk by a place and then you back up to see what you almost missed. It was exactly like this when I walked by the immensely little bar named Spitzen Gebel. The name referrers to the pointy shape of the late Gothic pointed gables, which actually was the thing that caught my eye between the large neighbouring houses.

The little house looks like the last standing survivor of the Middle Ages and it is actually the last remaining medieval town house of this Hanseatic city. Barely this fact should result in that all tourist at least walk by the place once during their stay in Bremen. The house looks quite cute amongst its neighbouring large and modern houses.

I could see from the distance that it was a pub because they had a sign outside the entrance stating that they were serving the wonderful Haake Beck, which is a great pils. As it was my first stay in Bremen I headed for the other sights first but I decided that I would come by later, which I naturally did.

When I some hours entered the bar or kneipe I almost stepped straight into the bar; the place was just as small as it looked from the outside. Inside we were met by two smiling women; the boss or owner, who was named Martina Prawitt and her young bartender Tina and both of them were ready to serve us.

The bar allows smoking, which is rare but also gives it some authenticity because you almost never find places like this any more. The atmosphere was great and people were really happy and some of them have had quite a lot to drink but there were only smiles in the air.

Together with my friend we had a bunch of the magnificent Haake Beck beer and at one point a couple told us that we could not have been in the bar without tasting the most famous drink in town "Sluk ut de lamp". We had no idea at the time what we were getting in on but we were always fresh especially after a handful of beers or more.

It turned out that the stuff that was poured out of a lamp on the wall was some kind of a bitter like the horrible Danish Gammel Dansk. We are quite used to taste stuff like this but I think that for people who haven't tasted stuff like this since their 18th birthday will hate it.

The whole concept of "Sluk ut de Lamp" descends back from two different things that in some strange way ends up with a horrible bitter in a lamp. The beer distributor Adolf Ulbrich sold the house way back in 1913 to a company Vereinigten Klavierträger or in plain English "United piano carriers" as an office building. Because the piano movers were not allowed to drink any alcohol during their waiting time for their next transport, they came up a clever idea to cheat their manager. They rebuilt a normal lantern lamp into a bottle and filled it with sweet herb schnapps. Since then the movers were always ready for a drink and no one found out how they were able to have a constant relief and pleasure drinking snaps.

I have no idea how the wonderful snaps got turned into the strange bitter but I am pretty sure that it was not this that they had constructed their lamp or lantern for. Today's experience from the "Sluk ut de Lamp" is recipe from a Swedish doctor who's family has protected the secret recipe for many decades, and who's family members all became over 100 years old. The herb drink is today mixed exclusively for Spitzen Gebel - and don't worry I will not be the one producing it if I was given a copy of the recipe
Inside the bar
Inside the bar
Outside the bar
During the daytime
ccjbeachbum says:
nice review
Posted on: Jul 27, 2012
davidx says:
Great review but I doubt I could cope with the cigarette smoke these days.
Posted on: Jul 26, 2012
Chokk says:
I loved the story myself and thats why I took the time to read up about it.

Can you imagine people waiting to carry pianos - I guess they had some time to drink
Posted on: Jul 26, 2012