Spirit of Orca Whale Watching & Wildlife Tours

Spring Street, Friday Harbor, WA, USA

Spirit of Orca Whale Watching & Wildlife Tours Friday Harbor Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Fabulous day despite seeing no orca Jul 19, 2017
There are many whale-watching companies operating out of Friday Harbor and I spent some time online deciding which to book with. In the end I chose Spirit of Orca as it seemed to get consistently good reviews across several platforms (not just Trip Advisor, which I don’t always trust) and was a small boat, which was a priority for us. The bigger boats cost less but you are jostling for views with lots of other people; the Spirit of Orca takes a maximum of six. We shared our trip just with a young couple from LA and their baby.

As I explain in my blog entry, we were not so fortunate in our choice of day for this outing, as there were no orca to be found anywhere around San Juan or indeed further afield. But Captain Ken very kindly offered to take us out again in the afternoon, at no extra cost, as he had space on the boat, an offer we gratefully accepted. On that trip he focused on finding some humpbacks which had been spotted earlier in the day, and after a 90 minute boat ride in choppy seas (which I have to say I enjoyed, though some may not!) we found them.

The personal touch you get in a smaller boat certainly paid off for us and I would certainly recommend Spirit of Orca if you are looking for a good whale watching experience in Friday Harbor.

As a bonus, as part of the cost of the trip, Ken includes a set of his best photos from the day. You can see these, and read his blog entry about it, on his website: Humpbacks West of Victoria [https://www.spiritoforca.com/single-post/2017/07/19/Humpbacks-West-of-Victoria]. I do encourage you to check this out and to look at some of the other entries too, if only to see what we might have seen, with better luck.
Spirit of Orca
Leaving Friday Harbor
Thar she blows!
Humpback whale
Toonsarah says:
Thank you everyone :-) I'm glad they (?) chose this one to feature as Captain Ken deserves the publicity!
Posted on: Oct 15, 2017
cotton_foam says:
Congrats on your featured review, Sarah!
Posted on: Oct 14, 2017
starship1 says:
Nice review and photos too, Sarah. Have yet to see an Orca myself although also saw some humpback whales while in Alaska. Congratulations on your featured review of the day!
Posted on: Oct 14, 2017