Spiga d'Oro‎

200 Florida Road, Durban, South Africa

Spiga d'Oro‎ Durban Reviews

rsummo rsummo
An Italian Restaurant You Can't Miss Jun 18, 2010
Spiga d'Oro was listed in our guidebook as a place that every local would just expect that you've gone there because it is so good. It's in a great spot on Florida Road, surrounded by other eateries and artsy places. If you are in Durban, you should take a walk up and down Florida road just because it's a nice area, and if you want to pick up some cheap clothes, cut a few blocks east to Stamford Hill road and hit the factory shops. Anyway, back to the food.

Spiga has an extensive Italian menu. Pizzas, Pastas, Salads, Mediterranean dishes and fabulous deserts - you can check out the menu here:

I started off with their bruschetta, then moved on to their chicken livers Italiano. Next up was the garden salad, and finally for an entree had Panzerotti, half moon pasta filled with spinach and feta. I realize that by listing this I sound like I must be a complete pig, but in my defense this meal took place over the course of 2 hours, as I was also watching a world cup game during the meal. Because of the places reputation, I wanted to try as much as I reasonably could, so I spread the courses out and was successful at avoiding bloat.

Everything was quite good, but I have to say that the bruschetta was by far the most outstanding thing I had. I love bruschetta. My girlfriend makes it often at home and I think her's is great - but even she admitted that the bruschetta at Spiga was amazingly better than her own or any other bruschetta she had ever tried. It was fantastic! I would consider returning there and just having a meal of bruschetta. The pesto and the tomatoes they used were some of the best tasting things I've ever had.

The prices at Spiga are average for Durban, which means that if you are coming from somewhere with a favorable exchange rate you are sure to be pleased. Spiga has the ambiance of a mid to upper priced Italian restaurant but coming from the US, the prices were more like a cheap joint. Though the place is popular, I don't know if it is every difficult to get a table. The restaurant is much bigger than it appears from the street - it is actually huge, with rooms and multiple levels in the back of the restaurant. It was a great place to sit and watch the game on a sunny afternoon. If you are in Durban, you should definitely check the place out.

Check Durban Hotel Deals