Spice Garden Home Stay

Spice Garden Home Stay Rates and Deals

Spice Garden Home Stay Munnar Reviews

Wira Wira
Spice Garden Resort Munnar, Horror experience!! Dec 29, 2011
We arrived there with our car from Kochi and we were surprised that we could not find any spice Garden resort at all. As we phone called the so called "manager" a boy come to pick us up on the road with a jeep. To our surprise he said we where just few meters away from "RESORT" and we should just follow him. On the web site nobody can see the approach. It is like a safari road without even tar on it leading very steep down and unsafe to drive.

In front of the so called resort was a huge construction going on and the so said ample car parking was maybe good for two cars only. The boy showed us our room. The room was right in front of the construction where the workers were very busy hammering and drilling. The best part is that a noisy generator was right behind the window. I was very shocked at this point, and I preferred to drive all the way home beck to Kochi. They agreed and changed the room. It was not so very bad. But I thought it wrong. Left to our balcony was the Hotel staff ( a few boys maybe 16 year old so much to service quality) and right to us was how to call it a little space made of few bricks for the construction workers. Dirty cloths hanging over, garlic frying smell, and a lot of loud noise. So for to enjoying and relaxing. The multi cuisine restaurant was, if i can describe it right a place behind a building made of few bricks looking like a cow stall. "The Resort chef is a young boy looking very unhygienic We were very sceptical if it is safe to eat there at all. The restaurant dining room is just few dirty tables on the open roof top of the house. As we were hungry we decided to order for one time something. I do not know who has taught cooking to this boy, so called "chef " but he was for sure not a good cook him self. I have refused to eat and have given my dish back. Next day a group of 80 people arrived.(All kids and teenagers). Note they have only 13 rooms there is no capacity for so many people. Some how they manage to put them together like cattle. I assume they got it very cheap. The noise was not any more only the staff and the construction workers but also the 80 kids that they have accommodated without having even the facility for this. I want to mention here about the safety, hygiene conditions and water. There was no consideration for other costumers, only some how making money with the group of kids. Thay started to cook for them in this little cow stall and accommodated the teenagers over our head on the roof. The harassment was unbearable. Noise and light flashing in our window the whole night, and party party. This is the place that you describe as relaxing?

Next morning there was not warm woter at all .My wife got very sick in the night something like food poisoning I wanted to use the facility mentioned on the web-site DOCTOR ON CALL 24 HOURS. Nobody respondent on front desk. I manage it to next morning and we decided to end this nightmare. We wanted to check out but the so called manager was not to be fond at all, some how we managed to track him down and he comes out straight from bed with his sleepwear without a shower, he dint even brush his teeth. It was disgusting to talk to him. He dint want to hear nothing what we had to say. We had booked more days but preferred to end our holidays as my wife was feeling worse already. He had never heard something about costumer care for sure, he had not even the decency and charged the food that my wife have given back. Do not pretend it as homely food please because it is not at all.

The end of our holidays was a broken car silencer because of the safari rood approach and a food poisoning. I just wonder how someone can call this as a resort in this conditions? I think there are qualifications needed as it is very misleading. How can someone operate from a place like a cow stall with so much garbage is lying around and call it multi-cuisine? I wonder how many cockroaches and rats call this kitchen also home?

This is irresponsible playing whit people health like this . The kitchen is a breeding chamber for diseases (I wonder who is the person that have given a licence for something like that) not to speak from the unqualified staff. But charging for a room very expensive is ok for them by using the name "Resort". Claiming it as a resort not home-stay or hotel obviously they can charge more and it fell into a diferent bracket. Each and every point is faked on the web-site, on pictures look good but the reality is stocking.

Thay do not want the costumer to feel well and give for what they charge. Everything is about just making fast money and definitely overcharged. This place offer nothing .

Our experience is also that many of the hotels get people to write for them good reviews or may by some friends will also do this for them. Please check facts before you book it. I have been misguided, harassed and as I needed a doctor nobody was there to help. I want to know who is responsible for such kind of torture that I had to go trough?
vaibhavsan vaibhavs…
God's own resort in the God's own country!! Sep 05, 2009
I had one of my most memorable stays at Spice Garden, Munnar. Spice Garden is about 8 km before Munnar (if you are travelling from Cochin). It is located on a misty mountain.

George is the host. He is actually a farmer and grows pepper, cardamom and other spices in his farm. George provided me with a lot of useful information about the surrounding places, the routes, etc. He provided me with Kerala Map which I could use extensively throughout the trip.

His wife cooks amazing food. I loved the rassam, Keralite sambar, varieties of rice, dal, idiappam, appam, putt, dosa, coconut milk, etc.

George is also assisted by his son Jobin. He primarily looks after taxi services. Jobin is a knowledgeable, charming and helpful personality.

The resort has wooden rooms with a common dining area. The room allotted to me was spacious, neat and clean. The room window offered a very pleasant and picturesque view of the surrounding tea estate.

The mountain on which the resort is located is quite misty. Interestingly, there is a large hotel nearby which is called "Misty Mountains".

The resort is a couple of hundred meters 'down' from the main road. The road leading to the resort is very small and steep. You should avoid driving your vehicle down to the resort. You may park your vehicle off the main road and walk down to the resort. However, walking back up to the main road could be tiring.

I had hired a bike from Jobin for a few days. Though I could (with a lot of determination and concentration) ride it up to the main road from the resort, I never dared to ride it down. I used to park it off the main road and walk down to the resort.
Dining room
Another view of the dining room
Hotel room
Another view of the hotel room
munnarguide says:
kerala was a nice destination and your photos are looking fine. Staying in kerala home stays was a unique experiance than staying in a resort/hotel as its not having a personal attachment
Posted on: Aug 23, 2010
vaibhavsan says:
Thanks, Vikram. Thanks, Gianina!
Posted on: Nov 19, 2009
Vikram says:
Congrats on your feature Vaibhav. Well done!
Posted on: Nov 19, 2009