Porthmellon Beach, Isles of Scilly, United Kingdom
www.speros.co.uk - +44 (0) 1720 422521

Spero´s Isles of Scilly Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
You can´t beat the location Jun 03, 2012
Spero´s is located right on Porthmellon beach in an old boat shed. It´s only a 10 minutes walk from Hugh Town. I was walking along the beach when I saw some people on a terrace in front of an old boat shed. Just had to check it out. Glad I did, because I found this little gem of a restaurant.

I dropped by at 6 pm when they started the evening service. Since I had not made a reservation I could only get a table outside on the terrace. The restaurant was fully booked. By 6:30 pm they really couldn´t fit in one more person. The wind had calmed down so I was happy with my seat outside. With the view of the white sandy beach and watching the sunset I couldn´t have asked for a better table.

Spero´s serves a contemporary cuisine. With beef, pork, chicken and fish on the menu, it should cover everyone´s taste. Daily specials are shown on a blackboard on the wall. The soup of the day was roasted butternut, which I love, so I started with that. I couldn´t make up my mind on the main, so I had two starters instead. The Scallops with sweet potato puree was very good and the duck pancake interesting. The duck meat was cooked too much and little dry, but the combination of the pancake was good.

The staff was sweet and helpful, which gave the place a relaxed and informal atmosphere. The service was also efficient.

I can highly recommend Spero´s. Regardless of the good food, great service and friendly atmosphere, eating there is worth it just for the view of the sun setting over the island of Samson.

Spero´s is open from 10am-late Monday - Saturday (Breakfast: 10 am – 11.30 am, Lunch: 12 pm – 2 pm and Evening service: 6 pm - 9 pm). They are always open for drinks, cream teas or cakes.
Inside Spero´s