Speeding in Lithuania and getting busted by the local police

Siauliai, Lithuania

Speeding in Lithuania and getting busted by the local police Siauliai Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Speeding in Lithuania and getting busted by the local police Jul 26, 2008
After my visit to the fantastic Hill of the Crosses I wanted to get back to Vilnius as fast as possible; well maybe too fast as I always do.

I was driving in the outskirts of Siauliai on a fairly broad road with 2 lanes in both sides. I was enjoying the sun and the blue sky when a police officer stepped in front of me from the middle of nowhere and points me in to the side.

I pulled over to the side and stopped gently. I find my Danish drivers license and are getting ready to greet him with a big smile. The guy was huge as a former Russian concrete monument, but I still decided to go with my smile and my Danish language.

I addressed him in Danish; hvad kan jeg hjælpe med? I could see the confusion getting even worse as I hand him my Danish driver license.

He turns it around more than 2 times and sticks something that looks like a megaphone in my face. I naturally quickly recognize it as a speed camera with the figure 84 in the red letters, but I still play as confused as I can.

Fifty-Fifty; he says and I look at him and says fifty, fifty?

Fifty-Fifty; he repeats! I say in English, sorry I don’t understand. He looks at me, clearly thinking; what is this? This is never going to work!

Papirsky, papirsky; he says. I look confused again but hands him slowly the Hertz registration papers. Now I can see that this is not becoming him; I am truly a tourist talking a language he does not understand.

He waves at me so I understand that I have to follow him back to his colleague in the police car.

He is shaking his head all the way back to the car looking at my driver license and the Hertz papers.

I am taking it very easy and calm, still considering if I should take a picture of the situation in order to further remember this funny situation.

I lock my car very slowly in order to give them all the time they need and then walk the 50 meters towards the police car. I can see that they are discussing and now both are shaking their heads. I take this as a good sign and continue with a big holiday smile on my face.

Fifty-Fifty; he says again handing me the papers and shows me a gesture that I just have to leave them, so they can do some real police work.

Fifty-Fifty; he says the last time. I smile back and say Fifty-Fifty like we have an agreement.

I smile all the way back to my car and promise myself that I will only do Fifty-Fifty as long as I can see them in the mirror.

Getting stopped
One of many police cars
The police logo
Chokk says:
Haha, Wanda - somehow I end up being stopped by the police all the time :)
Posted on: Nov 03, 2013
wandafromtexas says:
I love your stories on your roadtrips thru these countries I'd NEVER take the wheel in! Thanks for sharing and one day you're headed for a Nobel!
Posted on: Nov 03, 2013