Spatzennest

4301-526-1659

Spatzennest Vienna Reviews

LeighBR LeighBR
Viennese Comfort Food Nov 06, 2009
It was our first evening in Vienna. It was cold, bordering on freezing (maybe it was freezing) and wet. Our party was very hungry and wanted something close by yet traditional. Our concierge recommended this restaurant as it was close by and served traditional Viennese fare.

The restaurant looked kind of crowded when we arrived. However, we were immediately led to a room off the main dining room/entrance. This room had no scent of cigarettes, although it allowed smoking. This dining room felt box like and had only one window, which we were luckily seated under. Tables were covered with table cloths and each had a small flower arrangement - rather ordinary. The ambience wasn't the greatest, but we were also very tired and hungry. I think coming here in a larger group would be fun.

We were waited upon fairly quickly and after some questions, placed our order. As my entree, I ordered baby marrows in their nighties, translated zucchini with potatoes and cheese baked with pork (meat sauce) and a side of cabbage. I also ordered a glass of prosecco. The wait between ordering and receiving the order seemed inordinately long. At one point, we got the waitress's attention to inquire about our order. She assured us it wouldn't be much longer. I think it must have been close to 25 minutes (perhaps longer) before our food arrived.

We were a bit grumpy by the time it arrived, but forgot all about the crankiness after the first bite of food. It was served piping hot and we had to let it cool down first. I think mine had just been pulled from an oven. I poked some holes through the cheese layer/crust on the top to let the air reach the mixture underneath. This was Viennese comfort! Absolutely delicious, heavy, rich and filling, it completely erased my bad mood. Although the other dishes looked tasty, after sharing and comparing it was decided that I had probably picked the best plate. Portions are large, so go hungry.

I would have given this place an overall rating of five if I was basing that rating off of quality of food alone. However, the extremely long wait for the food and the closed off/box like/clausterphobic/coffin like feel of the dining room detracted from the overall experience. If we had spent more time in Vienna, I would have definitely returned to try some additional dishes. I would recommend this place to anyone with an appetite and wanting to try Viennese cuisine.
baby marrows in their nighties, tr…
Spatzennest