Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town

Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town Rates and Deals

Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town Reviews

TravelLass TravelLa…
Nothing Special Aug 22, 2012
It is what it is, a business hotel, good for an impersonal stay for business and nothing special to shout about.

By the time I arrived at the hotel, it was almost 8pm. Having spent almost entire day traveling, it was much appreciated that the check-in was swift.

When I got to the room I was allocated, I was taken aback by the stench of cigarette. I double checked to make sure they have not given me a smoking room instead of a non smoking room I have requested. it was indeed a non smoking room. Smoking floor is located on 7th floor. I called the front desk to request for a change of room. The first person who answered said there isn't one available for me to change and suggested for me to use an air purifier. As I have rhinitus problem, I did not want to risk it flaring up while I am on holiday, and so plead for him to try his best. Finally the staff said there is a room available, on the 6th floor. I was concerned as that means it is closer to the smoking floor. Thus I requested to check the room before moving. When I realized it was a corner room right at the end of the corridor, I declined as I felt uncomfortable. I decided to make a trip down to the front desk.

Halfway through helping me look for another room, another front desk staff came out from the back room and told that staff he'll take over to help me. As he was checking, he asked where I am from. I replied. He said nothing but smile. A smile that wasn't friendly nor quite reached his eyes. I asked the purpose of his question. He responded "nothing, I have been there." After about 10 minutes, he found another room to show me. As we walked, he asked if the first room I was allocated really smelt that bad. I offered for him to check out the room himself if he doesn't believe that the corridor smelled fresher. When I asked if the in-room dining is 24 hours, he responded "no, 25 hours." I am not sure if that was his humor or sarcasm but after waking at 6am to travel from Zambia to Cape Town, no dinner yet at 8.30pm, having a gastric pain, and bad experience with room, i just wasn't in the mood. I told him bluntly that I am not in the mood for his joke, that it is not appreciated. He did apologize but somehow I didn't feel that it was sincere.

Amenities in the room were limited to shower gel, shampoo and body lotion. No cotton pad and cotton bud provided. I used the shower and left the shower gel in there but strangely, housekeeping is always determined that the shower gel be placed at the bathtub! for the 3 nights I stayed there, housekeeping will always take the used bottle to place it at bathtub but not replenish a new bottle. Small matter, just thought it was a strange behavior.

There was a day housekeeping failed to empty the bin in the room which was full.

Buffet breakfast was a decent spread although do not expect any variation to the spread. On one morning, I asked for breakfast tea when seated at the table. Waited for 10 minutes. Another staff came to ask if I wanted tea or coffee. Again, I asked for breakfast tea. Another 10 minutes ticked by but nothing arrived. Finally, I requested for a cappucino, which was served to me after 5 minutes.

The gym was small but clean and always empty when I used it.

No free wifi.

In-room dining menu doesn't have much to offer. I ordered spaghetti one evening. I asked if they had fettucine instead but no they don't. When it was delivered, I asked if I should pay cash immediately or pay upon check out since I did not leave credit card imprint when I checked in. I was told that I can pay when I check out. 2 minutes later, I received a call from a staff from room service telling me she can't close the bill as I did not leave credit card information with front desk. I explained to her that I was told I can pay upon check out which was what I would do the next morning. She didn't sound pleased.

The spaghetti I ordered was the dried factory type and definitely overcooked, bolognese sauce was rather average. Not quite what was claimed in the menu about al dente!

There is one restaurant in the hotel. Again, it was a small menu.

V&A Waterfront is about 10-15 minutes walk from the hotel. Concierge mentioned there is a shuttle that runs every 30 minutes as he doesn't recommend walking alone in the evenings.

Would I return for a stay or would I recommend for my friends to stay? No.
askpranav askpranav
Awesome Hotel ... not very pricey and centrally located Nov 04, 2010
Strengths: Located centrally very close to the V&A Waterfront

Weakness: Expensive if you do not get discounted pricing which is available from time to time

I visited this hotel in mid September 2010. I did my booking via RCI Rentals via the Bangalore Call Centre (available only to RCI Members) and got a Hot Deal which offered me a rate of INR 7000 per night as opposed to regular rate of INR 13000 per night. If you get any process below INR 9000 per night – please go ahead as opting for this hotel saves you a lot of money travelling within the city.

The Southern Sun Waterfront Hotel, Cape Town is located bang in central Cape Town very close to the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront (V&A Waterfront). If you choose to walk down to the hotel it is a 15 minute walk but the hotel runs a complimentary shuttle for all customers which operates every 15 minutes to the waterfront.

The rooms at the Southern Sun Waterfront Hotel, Cape Town are well equipped with all the regular amenities of a 4 Star Hotel, only a mini bar / fridge was missing from the room. The rooms are a bit small but very comfortable. Wi-Fi Internet as well as the Internet Vouchers at the Business Centre are very expensive and charge ZAR 100 for 1 hour slots – so internet surfing is avoidable.

For the complete review you can visit my travel blogsite on

Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town Overview

The hotel is ideally situated, nestled between the majestic Table Mountain and the Atlantic Ocean. In the immediate vicinity, guests will find the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront, a leisure complex with shopping amenities. Several beaches lie approximately 5 km away, including Clifton Beach. Cape Town International Airport is located 15 minutes away by car. From the hotel, guests can easily reach attractions such as the Grand West Casino (about 15 km) or Newlands rugby and cricket groun
The well-situated hotel offers guests the quality and comfort expected of a full service establishment. On offer are a total of 546 rooms, of which three are suites and five are disability-friendly rooms, in addition to a lobby area with a reception desk manned around the clock, air conditioning, a laundry service, conference facilities, and a restaurant. Furthermore, guests are offered an excellent breakfast room, a cocktail bar, a shopping centre with bars and restaurants, and 24-hour secure underground garage parking. All the restaurants offer wireless Internet access.
Each room comes with an en suite bathroom and hairdryer as well as centrally regulated air conditioning. Further fittings provided as standard include a direct dial telephone, satellite/ cable TV, a radio, an Internet connection, tea and coffee making facilities, ironing equipment, a hire safe, and a double or king-size bed.
The hotel grounds feature a swimming pool. Guests may also try a work-out in the gym or enjoy the seasonal entertainment programme. A range of leisure options are accessible near the hotel, including bowls, squash, cycling, horse-riding, tennis, and table tennis (charges apply in all cases). A selection of golf courses can be reached in approximately 10 km.
There is no better location for lunch, dinner or a drink than Tobago's Restaurant, Bar and Terrace. The food is wonderful and offers a true Cape Town experience. The cocktails are pure temptation and the wine list offers a superb collection of specially chosen South African wines.

Southern Sun Waterfront Amenities

• Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Steam Bath
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower