Southern Candymakers

Southern Candymakers - cherry, rum, and peanut butter saltwater taffy

Southern Candymakers New Orleans Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Best Pralines in New Orleans! Mar 04, 2011
We stopped in Southern Candymakers while wandering around the French Quarter. They advertised pralines and that was one thing that I wanted to try while in New Orleans. Several places sell pralines, but I think we found the best. There was quite a line, with everyone requesting their pralines (ok, I take that back, two women were there for the ice cream). Plus, they had a placard proclaiming them Bon Appetit magazine's best praline. I think Bon Appetit knows what they are talking about.

While in line, I spontaneously bought some of their saltwater taffy, too. Several flavors to choose from, I only got a few: peanut butter, cherry and rum. In addition to pralines, of which they have several flavors: chocolate, peanut butter, coconut and sweet potato, along with the original, they have numerous chocolates and other sweets.

The guys behind the counter are super friendly, and you can tell they have fun with their job. I purchased three pralines: the original, sweet potato and coconut. This, with the saltwater taffy came to 'seven hundred and eleven pennies'. I thought that was a cute way to tell the total.

The coconut and sweet potato pralines were good, but the original was absolutely my favorite. It was so creamy and delicious, and after sampling the pralines at Aunt Sally's, down the street, I really do believe Southern Candymakers make the best praline!

Southern Candymakers is located in the French Market, just down the street from Cafe du Monde on Decatur Street. You may have to stand in line -- practically out the door -- but the service is fast and friendly and you won't be disappointed!
blue ribbon pralines
e_w_richardson says:
Couldn't agree more!
Posted on: Jan 21, 2013
hauteboy says:
Southern Candymakers is my favorite praline place in New Orleans.
Posted on: Mar 27, 2011