South Point (Ka Lae) and Green Sand Beach

Hawaii, Hawaii

South Point (Ka Lae) and Green Sand Beach Hawaii Reviews

stephanitz stephani…
The southernest point in the US and only 2 green sand beaches in the world Jul 16, 2011
My friend and I rented a 4x4 jeep just for this beach. It is not that hard to find if you’re well prepared. There is a big “South Point” exit sign at the hwy. *Bring and use iphone/gps if you have one*

We reached the end of the south point road and we saw other cars drove off road but the rocky trail was way too sharp and bumpy that would blow up the tires so we decided to hike instead. It wasn’t a short easy hike but it was worth it for at least once in my life time. It is the southernest point in the US and there are only two green sand beaches in the world and why not taking the advantage when I get the chance? We got the south point road pretty late at around 4 and started to hike, the up and down zig zag rocky trail left by others wasn’t a good short path at all, took us one good hour to see the beach, then another 10 mins hiking down the cliff to the beach. We got there late at 5 and the sun was blocked by the cliff so the sand was in olive green, not bright green. The color is obvious in our eyes but not in the photo. My friend and I are in late 20’s with good shape but the hike wore us out for the day.

Related Travel Blogs About South Point (Ka Lae) and Green Sand Beach

Day 3 on the Big Island - South Point & The Green Sands Beach
South Point, Hawaii (Hawaiian: Ka Lae) is the southern tip of the Island of Hawaii.  It is also the most southern point in the United States of America, and is located at 18°54'38" North, 155°…Ka Lae) is the southern tip of the Island of Hawaii .  It is also the most southern point in the United States of America , and is located…

Compare Hilo Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Hawaii