Sopranos Italian Kitchen

5331 West 16th Street, Saint Louis Park, MN, USA - 952-345-2400

Sopranos Italian Kitchen Saint Louis Park Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Expensive food, but great ambiance Mar 26, 2011
Sopranos Italian Kitchen is a brand new restaurant in a western suburb of Minneapolis and is related to Crave restaurant. My friend found out about a promotion through Facebook and signed us up. On Friday night before the official opening, Soprano’s offered a free meal as a way to help train the staff to make sure everything goes smoothly when they open. The menu was set, so we didn’t have much for choices. The manager came over to introduce himself and welcome us to the restaurant.

The entrance was a little odd because the front doors were solid with no windows (unusual in this area). When I got inside, my friends weren’t there yet, so the hostess seated me. Actually, there were about 5 or 6 hostesses up front (I assume for training and that they won’t have that many every day). We got a really nice, large booth by a garage door window that can be opened in summer (it was actually a little drafty there with the temperature outside about freezing). The table was elegantly set, with large wine glasses waiting to be filled. The restaurant was nearly empty when I arrived, but was full when we left. The restaurant is open with a high ceiling and the smell of wood smoke fills the air. You can watch food being grilled over the wood fire in the front of the restaurant.

The restaurant is unusual in that it has wine in kegs on tap – one red and one white. We started off with an appetizer – steamed mussels. They came with a tomato sauce and bread. They were pretty good. Our entrees were supposed to be: Diver Scallops, Braised Veal Medallion, Spaghetti and Meatballs and Chicken Parmesan. Each table gets one plate of each entrée. We decided to share them all, but none of us would eat the veal. The manager made an exception for us and allowed us to get the Striped Bass instead. Even though the kitchen was only cooking a few different meals, they managed to mix up and give us Chicken Marsala instead of Chicken Parmesan. I was looking forward to trying the chicken parmesan. Each meal, except for the spaghetti, came with an interesting arrangement of herbs, grains, etc. For dessert, we each got a small cup of either chocolate gelato or raspberry mango sorbet. Yum!

Our food was all really good. My favorite was the striped bass. The other girls liked the scallops, but I’m not a fan of them. The spaghetti had a little kick to it in both the sauce and the meatballs. The chicken marsala had an interesting corn meal side similar to mashed potatoes. The bass had an eggplant side and the scallops had a wheat grain side. It was all very different and interesting flavors. The waitress explained that the dishes were prepared with Italian ingredients, which was why many of them were unfamiliar to us. The little dish of gelato or sorbet was a perfect finish.

The food was good, the atmosphere pleasant, and the service a little too efficient. Some of our dishes were cleared before we were finished with them. The thing that needs the biggest improvement was that all of our dishes were served slightly warm and all were cold by the time we were finished. The food was cooked, it just wasn’t hot. The noise level was actually pretty good, considering how big and open it was, even after the place filled up. All the tables in the dining room and bar were filled. There were even a couple of sweetheart tables where you can close curtains around your table (or at least it looks like you can).

There are tables outside for patio dining in warmer weather. Parking is available in nearby parking ramps (free) or you can use the valet. The restaurant officially opens March 28, 2011. I would definitely come back here again, but maybe only for a special occasion, as the prices are a little high for everyday dining. But the food and service were great!
outside of Sopranos