Sony a100

United States

Sony a100 Reviews

mickeyd302 mickeyd3…
Sep 22, 2007
I was in the same boat as you. I loved my 35mm cameras. But after living overseas in an area where film developing was lackluster at best and photos were often missing from a developed role of film (I was the only American living in the area and was accused of being a spy), I decided to go digital.

The first thing you should look at in a DSLR is if it uses the lenses from your film SLR. This will save you a lot of money in the long run.

I was using a Pentax K1000 and a Minolta Maxxum 7000 for my film SLR. The digital Pentax K100D uses any K series lenses. Sony bought Minolta and their digital cameras use the same a-mount that were used on most of the Minolta Maxxum series. When I was in the market for DSLR, I was tempted by both the Pentax and Sony, but I chose the Sony.

First, the Sony was less expensive (to the Pentax) by about $200, I was able to pick up an additional lens with the savings. Second, while I did like the weight of the Pentax, it was heavier than the Sony and that might be an issue for longer shoots. Third, and probably most important to me, I already had some great lenses from my Minolta. Fourth, the Sony offers anti-shake technology, which means your photos come out clear even if you shake while taking a photo. Fifth, the CCD unit has a special feature that shakes dust off it. While it will still need to cleaned with a blower occasionally, it is a very nice feature. Sixth, it does have 10.2 megapixels, while some people state megapixels are overrated, you get some nice shots. Finally, Sony has shown it wants to be a player in the DSLR world with recently releasing the mid-level a700 and later this year releasing the high-end a900.

My biggest complaint with the Sony is the flash metering is less than ideal, and the built-in flash is not that great (I bought a mounted flash) but overall I am very pleased with the camera.

In the end, it will ultimately come down to what you personally want and already have. I will say that I did come very close to buying the Pentax, it is a very good camera.
Sam the Dog in Indiana
Some of the neighborhood kids in N…
United States Map