Sonoma Canopy Tours

6250 Bohemian Hwy, Occidental, CA, USA

Sonoma Canopy Tours Occidental Reviews

trinademattei trinadem…
Sonoma Canopy Tours - Adventure in the Redwoods Aug 24, 2014
In September of 2011, I had the enjoyment of directing a segment on Sonoma Canopy Tours located in Occidental, California. The zip line tour was absolutely amazing, our two and half tour took us over 800 feet of zip lines.

First and foremost, we strapped on 2-piece seat and chest harnesses. We went through a brief introductory course and we were ready to go. For the average zip liner ALL loose valuables should be stored back at the main office in a locker. But we were a film crew, with a camera and sound gear. Kyle, my Director of Photography (DP for short) and Seth, our sound guy, had to specifically rig their gig and pray that nothing fell to the forest floor. Luckily, we all made it safely to the end of the course with all of our gear intact.

Once you ascend to the first platform high atop a redwood tree you must zip line tree-to-tree, platform-to-platform, until the end of the course. The guides were with us every step of the way and at all times my crew and myself felt safe. If you have a fear of heights I highly suggest that you give zip lining a try just once. The feeling of soaring through the sky is unlike no other.

I have zip lined in different locations but the redwoods are majestic and massive, looking down from the platform I was dumbstruck at the beauty of the California coastal forest. In terms of production it was not the easiest shoot but we lucked out because our zip-lining guides had infinite patience for the repetitive nature of film. We were able to get our shots, Sonoma Canopy tour was able to get the above promotional video and hopefully, after reading this post, you too will sign up for your own adventure.

I highly recommend that should you make your way to beautiful San Francisco, you take a scenic drive one hour north and visit Sonoma County and the Sonoma Valley. The region is famous for its beauty and its wines.

A big thank you to Sonoma Canopy tours for allowing us to shoot, soar and film!

Sonoma Canopy Tours