Songran Festival (Water fight)

Bangkok, Thailand

Songran Festival (Water fight) Bangkok Reviews

newtampo newtampo
Water Festival (Songkran) in Thailand Mar 17, 2008
If you are coming to Thailand in April, welcome to the land of smile and to the water festival on Songran day. You will love it! :)

April 13 is a Songran day. It's Thai New Year day. (Some said in Loas, Cambodia and Mianma too) Water is a symbolic of this festival. As Thailand is a hot country so "Water" can help.

Songran Day, actually it's a family activity. In the house, we pay respect to our parents or older people by pouring water in their hands and they give us blesses. Outside, we give the happiness to other people by throw water to them (in a nice way).

No work on that day, we will stay in front of the house and wait for people to make them wet. If you don't wanna get wet, stay home :) You will see us all along the road, even in a small ally, we will wait for you!! But it is fun. So please come out and play with us.

Some said Water Fight but it's not a real fight. A good water fight player should do it nice, just throw a small cup of water to them but don't hurt them. Just to make them wet and say "Happy Songran Day" and Smile.

But some people are not good players, they put water in the plastic bag, tie it tight then throw it to people to hurt them. Sometimes they put powder in the water and powder their face. (Men love it because they can touch women's faces as much as they want and just say it's a songran day, isn't it??!!) But not every men think bad when they do it. Some people they are about just to play but some of them want to touch you so better be careful :)

And don't wear short or see through dress if you don't want anything bad happen to you. Some people will take advantage by touch you, play with you a lot more than you think. Especially the drunker. We can't control them :)

But Songran is a good day. In Bangkok, we start the water festival from April 12-14. And other provinces such as Samuth Prakarn province will start after Bangkok which from April 16-18.

We have a lot of equipments to put water inside such as a fake gun, a bottle, etc. You will be surprised with those funny stuff. I join this festival almost every year since I was a kid. The best place to play water fight for me is Chiengmai :) Was so fun. In Bangkok, you can see all around the city. But the favourite places are Kaosarn Road and Silom Road but it would be crowded which it had made me can't breathe! :) But if you are not in Bangkok, don't worry. Because this festival is all around Thailand! Anyway, wherever you are in Thailand, I hope you enjoy this festival as same as us. It would be fun.

note : sorry i don't have pictures with me so i captured from just want you to imagine how nice it is. Thanks for google.
Somewhere in Thailand
Water fight
newtampo says:
Wow I didn't know that they have the same in Nepal, just heard about they fight with the color, men do to women. (kind of) Nice, wasn't it? :) Glad you had a great time there, would try the same experience some day. And if you have a chance to come here during Songkran festival, gotta be great too! :)
Posted on: Apr 10, 2008
glennisnz says:
This same festival is celebrated in nepal. I ran into it while I was in Kathmandu many years ago, i got so wet, so many times, seems that the boys like the ladies a little bit plump over there and I am rather plump so I got masses of water and lots of touches. Unfortunately one person put dye in the water and it stained my t shirt but mostly it was just fun. I even threw some water around too! Lots of laughs and good clean but wet fun.
Posted on: Apr 10, 2008