Some Like It Hot...

Shop 16 Astra Center, Durban, South Africa

Some Like It Hot... Durban Reviews

rsummo rsummo
Addictive Bunny Chow!!! Jul 02, 2010
If I was in Baltimore, addictive bunny chow would be a code word for heroin, but in Durban, it's a unique food item that every visitor should try. I've been told of a few places that supposedly have the best bunny chow in town, and this was first place from that list that I have tried. If the other places are better, I will be happily amazed, because Some Like It Hot... was a damn good start.

Located in a nice suburban niche with some small shopping areas and a slew of other quality restaurants, it's probably not a place that a visiting tourist would just stumble upon. It is a gorgeous place tho, on a hillside that spills down into the ocean, so as you eat out on the street side deck you can watch the waves crash out in distance or the huge container ships float by. There are a few other locations around, but I would guess that the express location on Broadway is the most scenic to visit.

Bunny chow is easy to explain - take a loaf of white break, cut it in half or in to quarters, hollow it out and fill it with a curry mix. The curry can be chicken, mutton, prawns, beans, or any mix thereof. For R30 (about $4 USD) I got a 1/4 loaf chicken bunny. Without specifying a spice level, it came at a very tolerable medium. The next time I got back I will request hot - when it comes to spice I like to find my upper limits, so if that goes well I'll try a third as hot as they can go. The 1/4 chow was a filling meal for me. If you are skeptical about the chow, you can opt for a "mini", or if you are gluttonous you can go for the 1/2 chow. It isn't an easy "take home" food, so I wouldn't over order by much.

The chow at Some Like It Hot... was especially good for a few reasons. First, the quality of the bread was fantastic. My girlfriend can't handle spicy foods, but she was carefully picking the un-curried pieces of bread off of the loaf and praising how good the bread was. Second, the flavor of the curry was outstanding. I love curry - Thai, Indian, Japanese - I have yet to find a curry that I don't like, and with Durban's huge Indian populations, you'd have to expect that there would be some top notch curries available. Third, the chicken came in huge tasty chunks, not tiny shredded pieces. It was good tasting chicken, and well worth the price. I've had a few other chows around the city, and they weren't bad, but they did not stand out as much as the chow at this place.

So I am told that I have to try the chow at a few other places, and if I find something better then I will certainly let you know. But for now, I highly recommend taking a cab up to the Kensington area and having a chow at Some Like It Hot...

Check Durban Hotel Deals