Sohoton Cove

Bucas Grande Island, Philippines

Sohoton Cove Bucas Grande Island Reviews

yheleen yheleen
Sohoton Cove - Surigao's Hidden Paradise May 21, 2008
When you say Surigao - most probably people will think of Siargao Islands (which I also love).

However, there's another island paradise not known to many but very, very, very (to the nth level) beautiful...

The Sohoton Cove of Bucas Grande Island, Surigao del Norte is a hidden paradise - not usually explored, very natural.

Ah, I miss the island so much. We were always here 4 or 5 years ago when I was still working for a government project which was World Bank funded that time.

We had coastal projects here ran by local people (fish sanctuary, fish cages, natural farming, etc.) and the cove was taken cared of by our local partners.

Bucas Grande Island is part of the Municipality of Socorro - one of my favorite places in Surigao. To reach there, you can either ride the boat in Surigao City or in Siarago Island or like in our case, thru Hayanggabon, Claver. The ride usually is an hour to two depending on your route.

Upon arrival in the pier of Socorro, there are boats that will take you to Sohoton Cove. Am not sure how much now since that time our local partners treat us there for free, hehe..

Anyway, there are many things to enjoy in Socorro- exploring the caves (bolitas cave, crystal cave, sohoton cave, magkukuob cave).

What I cannot forget are the crystal blue lagoon waters - very clear, like you can see the deepest part of it..and very peaceful and calm - like you want to cry :) sorry - am really inclined to dramas, hehe.

And yes, this place is very special to me. Know why? it was here that I finally learned to swim.. On our first visits in the cove, my friends always had great time exploring Hagukan Cave. "Haguk" meaning to snore in the local dialect - which was right in a sense because the waves do sound like a snoring giant.

But then, the only way to go inside is to dive and swim into the cave and on the past I just contented myself eating yummyy seafoods in the floating cottage or just happily paddle with other non-swimmers wearing life vests in the small boats. Well, with the life vest, I could have actually reach hagukan cave if not for my fear - never mind, I said. Am much safer here outside :)

But at last, on our nth time there, I finally said, I have to go there, i need to continue my 'unofficial' swimming lessons...and finally,I was able to experience what's it like inside.. creepy - dark - was my impression.. but worth it..

When you are planning to go to Surigao, try the Sohoton Cove - and when you do, you'll never be the same again - promise :)
the clear waters of Sohoton (pict…
the horseshoe
TravellinChic says:
Wow! Good review :) Thanks for sharing! I plan to visit and am currently doing my research! :)

Any tips, recommendations will be greatly appreciated! I'm planning on staying at Club Tara..did you stay there?

Cheers,