Sofitel So Bangkok

Sofitel So Bangkok Reviews

trippin_jen trippin_…
So (Sofitel) Bangkok May 28, 2014
March 2013

There are 2 Sofitels in Bangkok, so make sure you get the address right when giving directions to the Taxi drivers. This one that I stayed, is more popularly known as "So Bangkok".

What's cool about this place?

- Check in is at the 9th floor and there's a cool welcome drink. Everything looks prestigious

- Hoteliers are all so pretty! (if that matters... :p). Very polite and front liners speak very good English. A bit slow, but eventually I got an upgrade to the Club floor, so it was worth the wait.

- The rooms are categorized into 4 'Elements' - Water, Earth, Wood and Metal. Each Element has its own theme: Metal is white, Earth is blue, Wood is brown and Water is black.

- I stayed on the 28th floor, the top floor for rooms, and that's the Water Element. It comes with an Apple TV so you can watch TV or do your internet browsing comfortably on the couch.

- There's a nice bath tub overlooking the park. Water pressure is great.

- View is beautiful, overlooking sky scrappers as well as a park with lots of greenery.

- The bed is extremely comfortable! The best I've experienced so far!

- Complimentary mini bar comes with 4 bottles of still water and 1 bottle of sparkling water, and some other juices and even red bull, but no alcohol. There's also an expresso machine.

- A few restaurants/cafes to choose from. The one on 7th floor serve very good buffet selection. The roof top bar is quite nice.

- The room number is not stated on the room door, but on the floor against the wall (see picture).

The drawbacks

- Shampoo and shower gel smell weird.

- There's a walk-in wardrobe that they speak highly of, but I think it's quite impractical. The walk-in wardrobe is at the other corner of the room, away from the bathroom. It comes with a dressing table, but the mirror is so low, good for you to admire your chesthair. There's no natural lighting, so not a good corner for makeup - ladies would understand. Their full length mirror is so narrow you can only view half your body if you stick yourself to the wall (see photo). There's another full length mirror at the entrance of the bathroom but there's only room for you to stand an arm-length away from the mirror.

- Sufficient sockets for charging, but if you have a bulky one (not those compact square international adapters), there's no way you could plug it in.

- You have to take a different lift to go from ground lobby to 9th floor check-in lobby, and a different lift up to the rooms. Can be slow.

Not the exact central but close to many. Fast food like KFC, Burger King, Shopping Mall, night market, local street food, Hospital, ATM machines, Train station, etc can be reached within the radius of 10 minutes walk.

Good for business stays, not for those on budget.

October 2013

Unfortunately my 2nd time stay was not a really a pleasant one. This time I chose the Wood Element. But upon arrival, my room was not ready. But I was in a hurry for my meeting. So I asked for a room to iron my clothes. They took me to the spa, with dim lights. And I had to wait 30 minutes for an iron, and that is after I reminded them several time. Difficult to iron in a dark room I must say, but I had no choice.

My colleague booked a suite for the same period, and his room was not ready although their policy is to have rooms ready by 3pm. So he too, left the luggage at the hotel and headed out for the meeting. By 7.30pm, he was informed that the room is still not ready!! Excuse me??

We headed for dinner at the 'rooftop' restaurant. Service is beyond lousy! Very limited selection on their menu, and even so, most of the items are not available. And it took them 30 minutes after your order, to tell you that your order is not available. After appetizer, we waited an hour but our main course was still no where to be seen. Horrible service and the place was also dark you could hardly see what you're eating. Total disappointment.

May 2014

Service this time was much better in comparison to my second stay. Crowd was less due to the recently imposed Marshall law, so that's probably why their service was good. Due to the curfew, our Foreign Ministry had advised Malaysians to seriously reconsider our trip to Thailand. For this reason, I almost cancelled my trip, and So Bangkok was willing to cancel my reservation without any charges. However, I finally decided to continue with my plans, and I eventually got a room upgrade!

I chose a different element this time, the Earth. From the photos it looked too blue and a bit dark, but when I went there, I absolutely loved the design especially the bathroom.

Needless to say, the service as also extremely good. Shower was powerful! Only drawback is probably lack of power sockets.
So Bangkok Welcome Drink
trippin_jen says:
Hahahha! Oh yes, how did I miss that out? And also their facilities.. but I didn't have enough to check them out. Thanks for the smiles, Brian!
Posted on: Jun 01, 2014
spocklogic says:
You took a photo of just about everything, except the Hotel building itself - ha ha! Nice collection...
Posted on: Jun 01, 2014
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured! I stayed at the Sofitel in Rome and the airport taxi driver didn't know where it was, so the confusion isn't limited to Bangkok.
Posted on: May 29, 2014

Sofitel So Bangkok Overview

Adjacent to Lumpini Park, business and entertainment districts, the Sofitel So Bangkok is with easy access to Lumpini Subway and Saladaeng Skytrain station. The hotel is located 25km from Suvarnabhumi airport

There are 238 rooms and suites at the Sofitel So Bangkok with distinguish themes; Water, Earth, Wood and Metal. Each guestrooms boasts floor to ceiling windows with panoramic views of Lumpini Park and the city skyline. Featuring free WIFI with Apple Mac mini.

The Sofitel So Bangkok is a 30-storey urban design hotel in Bangkok, created by a reputable Thai Architect and five Thai interior designers, linked to French elegance by Monsieur Christian Lacroix, Sofitel So Bangkok offers themed accommodation inspired by the Five Elements: Water, Earth, Wood, Metal and Fire.

Sofitel So Amenities

• Spa & Wellness Centre
  • Steam Bath
  • Barber/Beauty Shop
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes
  • Towels
  • Shower
  • En suite
  • Pool Outdoor
  • Cots
  • Security and video surveillance in public areas
  • Luggage Storage
  • Designated Smoking Area
  • Cell phone/mobile rental
  • Smoking Room
  • Family Room
  • Express Check-In/Check-Out
  • Late check-out (subject to availability)
  • Bus Parking