Sofi Residence

Check Jakarta Hotel Deals

Sofi Residence Jakarta Reviews

lachicabonita lachicab…
Misleading management Feb 28, 2013
I was doing my research about accommodation where my boyfriend who will come from Europe and I can stay together for few days in Jakarta before we take off out of town and for one time I thought I found the place (a guesthouse)which claimed it caters the needs of many nationalities.

Reservation was made and I was about to confirm when I will send a deposit to secure the room to its management until I scanned the website again and found about its house rules. It was saying unmarried couple of different genders isn't allowed to share a bedroom, while two persons from same genders are allowed to stay in the same room. In my opinion, it was a confusing point. What if the two of same genders are couple of gay and lesbian, will they still be allowed to stay if they are unmarried?

I tried to confirm about this rule by making a phone call to the guesthouse. It confirmed the rule is valid and I would be asked to present my marriage certificate once I do the check-in with my partner (boyfriend). I was upset upon hearing the confirmation knowing the fact that the guesthouse is owned and managed by a European and Indonesian couple, but I tried to understand the reason behind the rule point. After that, I wrote a comment that was addressed to its management saying I was happy for their prompt replies to my queries, but I questioned why they could make such a claim that they cater many nationalities while apparently their rule would be more suitable to cater the needs of local society (for not allowing unmarried couple to stay together in one place for period of time until they get officially married). I also told them to put a clearer sign on their website regarding the house rules so it won't mislead or let down any potential customers ahead.

It is not an uncommon thing that some motel or hostels or guesthouse within Indonesia in general sometimes being checked by local organisation/s to see if there are unmarried couples doing their "business" in such places. Some of these checks were done in destructive ways as if they have greater power than the formal authorities/police. So, I was kind of hoping this would be the feedback I got from them the reason why they made such rules: security reason.

The feedback came which doubled my upset. The guesthouse bragged about 90% of the guests are coming from West Europe and America who all of them have no problem with the house rules and who all of them honour their identity and their culture (for being married couples to share a room). I was surely reading this. Hurray, I was just being labeled as an immoral person who doesn't respect her identity and her culture.

Oh, if only the one in management knew what the indigenous local culture looked like. It was kind of a custom to share a house with some families and maybe to share a bedroom too under the same roof regardless of getting married or staying unmarried

I think I can find a way to fake a marriage certificate or wedding rings to let them allowed boyfriend and I sharing a bedroom, but hell no I am going to do that for the sake of honouring my and boyfriend's identity. Anyway, problem solved. Paying more to get your privacy guaranteed elsewhere.

Surely not recommended for unmarried couple :)

Check Jakarta Hotel Deals