Snowdon Mountain Railway

Nant Ffynnon, Llanberis, United Kingdom

Snowdon Mountain Railway Llanberis Reviews

timclacy timclacy
Snowdon Mountain Railway Apr 29, 2011
Perfect for those who don't fancy or can't walk all the way, with the ability to take in the amazing views that snowdon has to offer, if you don't feel like you can walk the mountain, this is the option for you; reviewed by my parents, as you'd find me on mountain, rucksack and all, missioning it to the top. :D
davidx davidx
Great engineering - but walking is best. Aug 29, 2010
I say straight away that for me any ascent of Snowdon direct from Llanberis is not the most scenic route. I may get round to doing a review on preferred routes eventually. However I still say of mountain railways what I said when I was fit to walk up. In general mountains should be retained as wild places but, in the interest of the elderly and disadvantaged, we can surely live with a few mountain railways. Actually I have never been up on the railway but I have been down, free, during maintenance time.

Although the railway would not be my preferred route of ascent, I have to admire the workings of a system that takes you from very low to over 3,700 feet. It's gettin on for five miles long and the steepest gradient is 1:5.5. it operates on a rack and pinion system.

Three of the steam locomotives in use (out of 4) are the original ones, first used in 1895. There are now diesels as well.

I am told that the visitor's centre at the top, opened in 2009, is far better than the old one It needed to be! The gloom of the previous one let down the whole railway.

I have been uo Snowdon many times in practically all weathers but I have never managed to spot Ireland's Wicklow Mountains.

Check Llanberis Hotel Deals