Snow Canyon State Park campground

Check Ivins Hotel Deals

Snow Canyon State Park campground Ivins Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Scenic camping, but watch out for spiders Sep 09, 2013
I was visiting the St. George area for a long weekend and decided to book a campsite in this campground, which was about 30 minutes away from town. Snow Canyon State Park is located in Ivins, northwest of St. George, in a beautiful sandstone canyon.

The campground is fairly small, with 2 loops and 31 sites total. About half have full water/electric hookups. I chose to camp in the northern loop a short walk from the bathrooms. I booked online and was surprised to find I had 2 tent pads. The tent sites are all sand, which makes for very comfortable sleeping. My site was a short walk in site. The campground has a beautiful red/gold backdrop of sandstone. There is a significant lack of trees and shade here, so beware in warmer weather. I was here over Labor Day and it happened to be cool and rainy for me.

I arrived late and the security gate was down, but I walked though it and found my registration hanging on the info board. It had instructions for opening the gate (there are also those metal back-up spikes so you can't sneak into the campground). Not sure why they have so much security to get in or out here. There is a visitor center right at the gate to the campground. One nice thing is that you get a park entrance permit for the length of your stay, rather than having to buy a separate entry pass. I liked that!

The bathroom/shower house had a couple of showers that you needed to enter a pin to use. Again, not sure if they have a problem with people sneaking in here to camp and/or shower? I thought they were clean and all, but one night I found myself on the toilet when I spied a black widow spider on a web - in my stall! This was my first encounter with this poisonous spider and it was quite scary! Needless to say, I hurried out of there! Apparently they get a lot of those spiders in the bathrooms and have some sort of machine to remove them, but it was broken. That was really the only bad thing about this place. That, and I was always expecting a scorpion to crawl into my stuff but I never saw one at the campground.

I slept really well here. It was cool and rainy, which is rather unusual for this area. Also, they have burning restrictions, so you can't have a campfire at your site from June 1 - September 15. You can have stoves or charcoal grills though. The park also has many hiking trails, but I didn't have much time to explore here. I definitely want to come back and stay here again. This is also a cheap lodging option when visiting the area. I think it was $16/night plus an $8 (total) reservation fee, and that includes your daily permit.
Registration info board
entering the tenting loop
bathroom building
jethanad says:
excellent review - I think the the extra measures are needed to reasssure you that unauthorized persons are being kept out
Posted on: Jun 05, 2015