Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay

7455 Kalanianaole highway, Honolulu, HI, USA

Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay Honolulu Reviews

pinchora pinchora
cheap fun!! Jan 25, 2009
I thing I was told to do was go snorkeling in Hanauma Bay and I was happy we did. Admission to the beach is $5 and to rent the snorkel and fins til 5PM is $6. You have full access to the beach and to view tons of coral and fish and other underwater sea life... my cousin told me that she saw a sea turtle in there and "it was so cute".

Sadly I didn't see a sea turtle but I saw alot of other cool fish. My friend and I were going to go in the afternoon when the water would be warmer (but as TBers are good at is giving advice, Aloha_Keith [Keith] advised us to go in the morning so we'd see more fish) so we went in the morning...we got there around 8 or 8:30AM.

My friend and I got the snorkels and went into the water...since it was 17 degrees F in Pennsylvania when I left the water was really nice.... my friend, a local, thought it was too cold...so she went with me for the first part of the morning and then sat on the beach while I went back in.

When we first got in the water we stumbled in (we later found that it's best to walk into the water backwards) and then submerged ourselves and started to venture out... I saw something swim right by me and bobbed my head up out of the water. I knew that there was going to be fish around me but I didn't know what to expect and it startled me.

The swim out was pretty cool... when you go a little farther out (out to the wall barriers so you don't get taken by the current) you will actually be able to bob your head out of the water without stepping on the coral and there were alot more fish out there than closer to the shore.

This was an awesome experience I'm happy I got to do!
bonz137 says:
Congrats on the feature! I went there a few years ago and loved it so much! Its a great spot! Got some really cool pics with a cheap camera.
bashmentbabe says:
congrats on the feature great review
festerwretch says:
Congrats on the feature! I haven't had a chance to read it yet - but man... Hawaii for your birthday, sounds super nice! Take care!
m_mspr m_mspr
Snorkling at Hanauma Bay Nov 25, 2009
The plus sides of Hanauma Bay is that it is easy to get there. Take bus #22 from Waikiki and it will take about 45minutes to get there.

The price is $5 (exceot for kama aina) and before you get to go down to the beach you have to watch an information vidoe. The video is informative and has a very catchy song! :o)

The reef is high up to the surface so sometimes it's a little hard to get out there, but you get to see many colorful fish (like the state fish of Oahu: Humuhumunukunukuapua'a), and you might see a turte. The best place to see turtles are the farthest from the entrance, probably because there are usually less people there.
ellenbulloch ellenbul…
Aug 29, 2007
Hanauma Bay is a beautiful beach and snorkelling there is definitely a thing to do whilst in Hawaii. We booked an organised trip so we were picked up from our hotel in a small mini bus, and the pleasant and humourous driver took us sightseeing on the way to the bay. Included in the package was flippers and a snorkel.

The beach was like paradise, with a bright turquoise sea and the fish and coral have to be seen to be believed. I think we had about four or five hours at the beach before we were picked up again. An amazing day trip!
angeline_elin says:
i am lookimg to go snorkeling with my children. it will be first time for us, any tips and advices, what to bring, what to do and not to? i wonder, do you need to know how to swim, and is there any lifeguards on duty. what is the best time to go there? thanks
Posted on: Dec 04, 2010
sarsoml says:
I am looking to take my daughters snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. Would you consider it a calm area, I don't know how well they would do with swells.
Posted on: Feb 20, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay and the TB dinner
This was the day I had been waiting for. We were going to Hanauma Bay for snorkeling! Met up with Wendy and Sue at their hotel and drove to Keith´s house to meet the rest of the TB gang. Hanauma Bay…Hanauma Bay is absolutely the highlight of Oahu. Even if you don´t snorkel it´s nice just to stay at the beach. After some snorkeling it was time…
Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay
This blog is going to be one of the embarrassing travel moments I’ve had. I’ve done some water-related activities -- not many, but a good few. I like jet-skiing, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and… This blog is going to be one of the embarrassing travel moments I’ve had. I’ve done some water…

Check Honolulu Hotel Deals