Snibston Discovery Museum

01530 278444

Snibston Discovery Museum Coalville Reviews

MrsJ MrsJ
Great value for money for a full day out! May 26, 2015
We arrived at Snibston at midday, which in hindsight, really was far too late! The site opens from 10am and closes at 5pm and there's plenty there to keep both young and old entertained.

For a little extra cost, you can do a colliery tour which is about 45 minutes to an hour. If you have Chris as your guide, you'll be nearer the hour! ;) Chris is a former miner now retired who has a brilliant sense of humour (well suited to young boys of an impressionable age! Haha!!) and naturally, extremely knowledgeable in his field. We had been with him only half an hour when my 7-year-old son turned to me and said, "Mama, we can come here again, right?!" Right!!

We had lunch in the picnicking tables provided inside, but there are many picnic tables and benches outside in the very awe-inspiring park. Half of the outside is a play park, whereas the other half is exploring the laws of science through play. One such attraction was the water area where a boat can travel from one side, up onto the bridge and down the other side by manoeuvring a series of gates and so on and so forth. My son soon roped other children into helping him complete the challenge and had great fun in doing so.

Inside you have the Extra Ordinary Gallery where my son particularly enjoyed making fire (yes! Real fire!) and manipulating a large magnet and pulley to lift a car. In the Light Fantastic area he was transfixed by the huge plasma ball, and in the Science Showcase room he spent an inordinate amount of time playing with the Black Hole model.

In the Transport, Engineering and Extractive Industries Gallery he particularly enjoyed looking at the horse-drawn vehicles and the collection of old bicycles including the Penny Farthing. He'd never seen a Penny Farthing before and as such laughed his socks off at the very notion of someone being capable of riding such a contraption! There was also a brilliant low mine made that ran through an exhibit where the children could don a hard hat and collect foam coal. They could then place it onto a model conveyor belt system, turning knobs until they all fell off and collected at the bottom, ready for the children to put back into the "mine". This was probably my son's favourite part of this gallery.

There was also an extensive Fashion Gallery which I was unable to devote much time to as there was unfortunately not a lot of boys fashions and skirts and tunics understandably didn't hold my son's attention for long.

To hear that Leicestershire County Council has earmarked the site for closure is simply preposterous and one can only assume that it has been done so, and is supposed by those, who have never visited Snibston before. Those who have been here will have undoubtedly enjoyed it thoroughly as we have. We had five wonderful hours and I was only disappointed not to have been able to have gone to the country park that is attached to it. However, that is not necessarily a bad thing as it means that we must come back in order to explore it!

Check Coalville Hotel Deals