Durness, Scotland
Smoo Cave - Smoo Cave

Smoo Cave Durness Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Smoo Cave Jul 30, 2010
Smoo Cave is a large cave with a waterfall flowing through its roof, near Durness in Scotland. You can enter the mouth of the cave to see the waterfall for free, and if the cave tours are running you can pay for a tour. Unfortunately, the tours only run when the water levels are low enough to be safe and when we went, it had been raining all week and the waters were just too high.

Even without the cave tour, it is worth the short walk down the cliff path to see the cave. It was settled in prehistoric times and you can still see a large pile of shells that is apparently a shell midden, where people threw their rubbish. It must have felt like a safe place to shelter, being hidden behind a waterfall. The mouth of the cave is floodlit. This is well worth the short detour if you are in the area, and if I go back and the cave tours are running I will definitely do one. They aren't free, though.
Cave Mouth
ladyluck13and7 says:
Smoo, smoo smoo
Posted on: Aug 18, 2010
Dr_Seuss says:
one of the best 'summer holiday' pics I've ever seen was when my brother brought his girlfriend and daughter over from Portugal,where they were living, and took them to Mull.

Picture of the daughter looking thouroughly miserable, in the pouring rain, in a big padded waterproof, hat, scarf, gloves and ear muffs :O

Just looked at it and thought ' Welcome To Scotland In The Summer' :D
Posted on: Aug 17, 2010
sarahelaine says:
Francis- no.
Alyssa- thank you!
Aussie- thanks! Please read the rest of the blog, though. The grey cairns at camster are well worth a look and so is the old man of stoer. And bring good boots!
Dr Seuss- it wasn't too bad, just a bit dreich, but it is weird to spend your whole summer holiday in a fleece. Tres chic!
Posted on: Aug 17, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Smoo Cave

Smoo Cave
Only 5 minutes from Durness lies the Smoo cave. I saw a picture of them in my "Frommer's - 25 Great Drives in Scotland", which I can highly recommend by this point. We parked at the lot assigned to t…Durness lies the Smoo cave. I saw a picture of them in my "Frommer's - 25 Great Drives in Scotland…
Durness Highland Games
We booked our trip to Scotland with the thought of maybe getting to see authentic Highland games. We checked the schedule every day and this was the one that coincided with our route and schedule. Th…Durness beach from up the road. We drove past Smoo caves, where we would stop later. The games had started…

Check Durness Hotel Deals