Smithsonian National Zoological Park

3001 Connecticut Avenue Northwest, Washington, DC, USA

Smithsonian National Zoological Park Washington Reviews

missandrea81 missandr…
Always worth a visit Apr 29, 2015
Since I am a mom now I decided to get a membership to the Smithsonian zoo (FONZ). The only thing I really save on is parking ($22 in 2015), but I figured why not support a place that somehow does need to feed all those animals and keep improving their habitats.

I like the Smithsonian Zoo, because of the layout. Others may not like that it is quite the hike either on your way in or out. I like parking at the petting zoo and work my way up toward the pandas (main entrance). On the way back I like taking the path that takes you by the "American" animals, bald eagles, beavers, etc.

With baby in tow it is a bit more difficult to get around. Lots of stroller unfriendly "dead ends" because of stairs, but I always found a way around it. The zoo isn't that big so it's manageable. Unfortunately you can't take strollers inside the exhibit buildings, which I hadn't anticipated. It makes sense though, since it is already busy without huge "vehicles" blocking the way. My suggestion is plan ahead and don't take too much stuff with you. Take a small purse to keep your valuables close, so you can abandon your stroller at the door and walk through the exhibit with baby in a carrier.

We are sure to return, since baby was only interested in the other children. The elephant that was literally right in front of his face left him unfazed. :p
The brown bears were really active
Brown bear