Sly Bar

www.slybar.com - (727) 735-4035

Sly Bar Saint Petersburg Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
That Local Neighborhood Bar Where Everyone Knows Your Name Dec 04, 2014
St. Petersburg, Florida has had many ups and downs over the years. It's ups have seen a huge influx of newcomers and skyrocketing property taxes to moments where you really didn't walk around by yourself at night. It's currently been on an upswing for about the last 15 years. It stalled a bit like mostly everywhere else with the financial crash back in the 2000's.

Slowly but surely, it's on the rise again. It comes with some trepidation that I promote my own city in the fear that too many people show up and ruin it for those of us who have been here for years already. But at the same time, I know that growth means more opportunities. So I always try to make sure that I tell everyone I meet that even though I am not a huge fan of Florida, I do love living in St. Petersburg.

St. Pete is a mid-size city with a big heart. And that is emphasized with the small business bloom in the downtown area. It's streets are lined with art galleries, antique dealers, computer programmers, cafes, restaurants, and, of course, plenty of bars.

One such establishment is Sly Bar. It is truly a "Cheers" for my friends and I. It is that small, local neighborhood bar that you go to hang out with your friends and you know you'll have a good time. Many neighborhood bars tend to be a little "clique-ish" and only seem to cater to the few regulars. At Sly Bar everyone is welcomed and nobody gets left out.

They start pouring a glass for me as soon as they see me coming in. I don't even have to ask. They know what I want. The staff is top notch. Always friendly and knowledgeable. If they aren't swamped with customers they're sharing stories and laughs.

They have darts, air hockey, and other assorted video games. A jukebox is usually playing when there is not some kind of event going on. The music on the jukebox tends to lean more to 90's music but not just the grunge genre that most would expect. They sometimes have live bands, comedians, or trivia nights, as well.

Sly Bar is non-smoking inside but they do have an outside area in the front with patio furniture. Usually on weekends they also put out the corn hole game boards. As with most of St. Pete, Sly Bar is dog friendly, so you will catch many of us hanging out with our canine buds.

This is a place you come to hang out with your old friends but always leave making new ones, too.

It's not too far from the main Downtown Block of St. Pete but it's closer to the Devil Ray's Stadium. There are several restaurants, galleries, and microbreweries within walking distance.

I've seen packed nights. I've seen slow nights. Like I said, I'm hesitant to share this place with others. But I want them to succeed because they deserve it.

Check Saint Petersburg Hotel Deals