Penzance, United Kingdom

Skybus Penzance Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
The unfriendly airline Jun 02, 2012
I had sailed to Isles of Scilly on the Scillonia III, so I wanted to fly back to Land´s End Airport. Just to have tried both ways of getting to the islands.

At check-in the unfriendliness started. I had a camera bag, which they would not let me take as hand luggage. Even when I explained that it was camera equipment, it was no mercy. In a very arrogant and patronizing voice she asked me if I had ever been in such a small plane before. She said that there was NO space under the seat to put it. Everyone with expensive camera equipment knows that you don´t want it handled as checked in baggage. I was furious!

Then you and your check in baggage go on the scale. 5 minutes before boarding I was called back to the check-in counter. Due to weight problems they offloaded me. I was the last one to book, so I was the first one to be thrown off! What´s the point with 15 kg weight allowance when they let people check in with "heavy" tagged baggage? They rather offload passengers, then execute the 15 kg weight limit per person.

Since I was dependent on a bus from Land´s End Airport, which I was now going to miss I was NOT happy. They guy at check-in said that they never knew how they would do on wights until everybody had checked in. If they have so small margins, that they can´t except a few kilos extra, it´s scary!

After being offloaded and having to wait for the next flight I was told that there was no compensation! Grrrr! It was finally boarding and the safety demonstration was done on a TV screen in the gate lounge. Once in the aircraft I saw that there had been no problem bringing my camera bag. It was enough space under the seat!!!! I was also placed in the middle of the aircraft, which meant no window, but a wall on each side. No chance of photographing the Isles of Scilly and the Cornwall coast from the air!!!!!!!!

Neither at check-in nor at boarding was I ever asked for an ID. There was no security check either. When I flew a 4 seat plane into the Okavango Delta in Botswana there was a security check and we were not allowed any liquid in our hand luggage!

With the hassle at check-in and being offloaded, my first impression of the Skybus was not very good. I doubt that I will use them again.
Skybus (Norman Britten Islander)
A sunshine of a gate agent
Safety demonstration