Skjaldarvik Guest House

Check Akureyri Hotel Deals

Skjaldarvik Guest House Akureyri Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Quite expensive but a lovely insight into a family run hotel Sep 06, 2012
The guest house was a little away from the city centre, but was facing the seafront and looked like a fairly big guesthouse. It’s a lovely drive down to the hotel, right by the coast with plains and plains for view. For such a large guesthouse, the entrance is a tiny little door by the corner. And for such a windy city/place, the door seems quite ‘weak’ and looks it could get blown out any minute.

Anyway the young receptionist ushered us in, showed us to our room and gave us a big discourse on how we can spot the Northern Lights and even offered to knock on our door should she spot it. Nice of her. What’s even nicer is that I overheard her offering this to every guest checking in.

So, the hotel is clean. It’s got big corridors and seems very “personable” with a variety of knick knacks thrown in. On the corridors, they’ve hung woollen sweaters for sale (kind of an original idea), the rooms are very clean although for a 120$ a night, the least we’d have expected was an ensuite bathroom (although in all fairness, it was written on the website about shared bathrooms). I also loved how all over the hotel, they have little plants growing in shoes instead of pots. I’d never seen this before, thought it looked cool.

They don’t have a guest kitchen but when we explained that we were vegetarians, and that we had our own meals (as this was the first non-hostel we were staying at, we did have a lot of food already), they were very gracious – they let us use the hotel kitchen after the rsnt closed (at 10pm) which was fine for us, we’re late eaters.

The main lounge is amazing – fabbo furniture, really spacious and there are telescopes as well for winter viewing of the Northern Lights. Literally everyone was settled in here with the lights dimmed down hoping to see the Lights, until someone finally said “screw it, it’s not coming tonight so let’s just brighten up the place!”. There’s also an open bar with an honesty box.

The buffet breakfast was standard fare – lots of cheeses, cheese spreads (Icelanders LOVE mushroom-cheese spread), fresh bread with 3-4 varieties of jam and of course the usual cereal. Having had just bread or cereal for the last few days, I made sure I gorged on the buffet breakfast enough to fill me up for the next 4-5 hours. There were so many guests, about 2-3 tourist groups from Germany so the tiny rsnt that serves the buffet b’fast was packed.

All in all, I had a nice time of this hotel. It is pricey, but standard for Icelandic fare. I don’t mind staying here again.
The facade of the guest house
The entrance - for a country so wi…
Approaching the guest house. I lov…
The main "lounge" where all the pa…
spocklogic says:
Kind of nice they allowed you to use the hotel kitchen after restaurant closing hours.
Posted on: Oct 09, 2012
ccjbeachbum says:
ok just wondering because they all look so nice with the scenary or the whole country like that ?
Posted on: Oct 08, 2012
Vikram says:
CJ - I pre-booked them.
Posted on: Oct 07, 2012

Skjaldarvik Guest House Overview

The Skjaldarvik Guest House is located in Akureyri making it one of the best hotels to stay at while in town. The Skjaldarvik Guest House boasts a convenient location with modern amenities in every guestroom and superb service. Each guestroom is tastefully appointed with non smoking rooms. Guests can experience the high standards of comfort while staying at this luxury Akureyri hotel with everything they need right on the site such as disabled facilities, shops, restaurant. The hotel offers garden to provide extra pleasure and relaxation for all guests. Modern comfort and convenience are seamlessly combined to ensure the guests' satisfaction. To make your booking at the Skjaldarvik Guest House Akureyri, please enter the dates of your stay and sumbit our secure online booking form.

Skjaldarvik Guest House Amenities

• TV
  • Horse Riding
  • Playground
  • Hiking
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Cots