Skipton - Gateway to the Dales

Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Skipton - Gateway to the Dales Yorkshire Reviews

davidx davidx
Skipton - castle and canal Jun 17, 2013
This is the anticipated sequel to my earlier review on Skipton. It covers separate visits since that, one with my son, Guy and a Chinese friend, Lerong when we visited the castle and one very recently for a three hour boat trip with lunch.

The castle is of high quality and there is a lot still more or less intact.

The canal trip alone would be rated 4 rather than 5. Obviously it is not going to be a massive distance, given only one and a half hours each way at a maximum speed of 4 miles per hour but this does not matter much as the main appeal of a canal cruise is its relaxation and it was good to see friends from the Bradford Circle for Foreign Languages on this group trip. However the scenery between Skipton and Connonley is good rather than spectacular and the pies for dinnner were not up to the standard of Skipton's best - which is a very high standard indeed.

We were lucky that there was Morris Dancing taking place all day near to the canal.

I am not knowlegeable enough to know how common swing bridges are on other canals but they are certainly not a feature of the Rochdale Canal near to home.
Morris dancing 1
Morris dancing 2
Morris dancing 3
Morris dancing 4
davidx davidx
Skipton - Gateway to the Dales May 25, 2011
I went to Skipton last week by three buses each way, using my ancient person's card which enabled me to travel free. I went for two reasons - because I like Skipton very much and have not been for a good while and to take some photos for this review. Sadly just as I arrived the skies opened so the photos will have to wait.

Skipton has a broad street leading up to the castle, which is still used as a street market on fridays with stalls on both sides of the street. You can read about the castle on and the lovely Church of the Holy Trinity near to it is on

To the left of the high street there is a smaller street almost parallel from which several archways open onto pubs and cobbled alleys, leading towards the Leeds-Liverpool Canal (various trips).

At the top left of the High Street is the Wild Oats Cafe, a vegetarian cafe above a health Food store. I had asparagus tart with two delicious salads. Come to think of it, perhaps I am not too disappointed about the photos. It means I have to go again!

Compare York Hotel Rates (0.6km away)

Skipton - Gateway to the Dales Map