Skiing: Val Thorens, 3 Vallees, French Alps

Val Thorens, France

Skiing: Val Thorens, 3 Vallees, French Alps Reviews

littleoak littleoak
Skiing: Val Thorens, 3 Vallees, French Alps May 14, 2010
I have been to Val Thorens twice; once with my uni & once with family.

There's a good variety of runs at each level so you won't get bored, & you can purchase a 3 Vallees pass to access more slopes & go further afield if you want. You can make it to Les Menuires, but you need to be a competent skier/snowboarder to make sure you get back before the lifts shut!

Most slopes are fairly wide and there's great scenery (it's the highest resort in Europe; 2300m). As it's so high you are above the treeline so there's no pines to whizz in and out of!

There's good off-piste bits if my friends reviews are anything to go by, but I'm too much of a scaredy-cat myself!

There's a good snow-park too, with ramps, jumps etc. Even if you don't do that sort of thing it's interesting to watch!

You can book to do a torchlit descent as well, where you ski to a restaurant, have a meal, & ski back down the slope in the dark (it's a green slope so everyone can do it). The torches are lit bits of wood which makes it seem really magical.

Unfortunately, when I came out of the restaurant someone had taken my skis by mistake which was annoying (they were the same pattern). The pair that were left were too big so I couldn't clip in, but I went down by skidoo instead which was fun in itself!

Just a tip for skiers though...in future I always now clip one of my skis to one of my friends and we place them apart..no-one will nick them if they're odd!

There's good amenities in the village too; a supermarket, interesting shops to peruse, a swimming pool, gym, underground club, pubs, table tennis, cinema, and a bowling alley. So even if the weather's bad there's still stuff to do :)

Alcoholic drinks are expensive as they know you can't go elsewhere, and the bowling wasn't cheap, but it was all good fun and some of the cocktails were giant!

My family & I went with Crystalski who were fantastic. We stayed in a catered chalet & our chalet host, Tom, was great, cooking amazing food that you wouldn't have expected an 18 year old to know how to cook!

The only bad thing I can think of was the disorganisation of the airport, but then waiting for your luggage to come round on the carousel is half the fun, right?

Hope this helps! xo