Skansen

Skansen - Skansen 3

Skansen Stockholm Reviews

davidx davidx
Open Air Museum and zoo Sep 05, 2010
Skansen was founded shortly before the Norsk Folkemuseum in Oslo, which did not copy the idea of combining it with a zoo. At the risk of offending Swedish members I have to say that for me the combination does not work. I prefer an Outdoor museum on its own.

Having said that I can honestly say that I enjoyed the visit to Skansen very much. Entry is by a funicular railway, which gives a pleasant start. The idea when the museum was started at the end of the 19th century was to keep something to see of a way of life that was being changed by industrialisation.

!50 houses from all over the country were moved to Skansen and there is a medium sized 'town' with shops as they used to e and craftsmen dressed for their roles.

As you pass a baker's you will catch a whiff of cinnamon buns. It's just about irresistable - but why resist it anyway - they are scrumptious.
Skansen 1
Skansen 2
Skansen 3
claud265 claud265
Jul 16, 2007
Skansen is the oldest open-air museum in the world. Skansen is also a zoological park. It is located on the island of Djurgården, a royal park near the centre of Stockholm, and open every day of the year, except Christmas Eve.

Over the years about 150 historical buildings have been moved here from nearly every part of Sweden. Most of them date from the 18th and 19th centuries. Visitors to the houses and farmsteads are met by historical interpreters in period costume. They often demonstrate domestic occupations, such as weaving and spinning.

There are something like 70 different animal species in the Skansen Zoo, the main emphasis being on Scandinavian fauna, which is represented by Nordic wild animals such as the brown bear, elk, reindeer, wolverine, lynx and seal.

When Skansen was founded in 1891 a large quantities of trees, bushes and other vegetation were planted here in order to transform the bare rocks into a cultivated oasis. Skansen today is a green park with numerous little gardens, beds of flowers, wild vegetation and cultivated plots. There are gardens and plots typical of the period by the old houses and farmsteads: a verdant southern Swedish garden by the Skåne Farmstead, a splendid kitchen garden to supply Skogaholm Manor and allotments for the poor families of Stockholm.

Related Travel Blogs About Skansen

Skansen's Chrismas Market and 80's Metal!!
Today, Lena and I woke a bit earlier to beat the crowd at breakfast. It was still dark outside at 7:00am, but I could tell it was snowing out! We went down for breakfast around 8:00am, finished about…Skansen, the worlds first open air museum. This is a part of Stockholm which is set up on a separate…
Stockholm Day 3: Blasieholmen, Skeppsholmen and Djurgarden
We started our walk where we had left off the day before, at Gustav Adolfs Torg, with the Royal Opera, the Dansmuseet and the Medelhavsmuseet, and headed along Strömgatan to Kungsträdgärden. We lo…Skansen is Stockholm's Open Air Museum, filled with about 150 18th and 19th century houses, which have been brought…
Mediterranean on the Danube and Skanzen
As I approached the Budapest, TomTom decided that he no longer understood where I was. I tried to follow his ever-changing directions but, 15 minutes of going round in circles and I decided to try an…Skansen, in Stockholm , so I wanted to know how this related. I was told in town that this was the best…

Check Stockholm Hotel Deals