Sites of Lucerne

Lucerne, Switzerland

Sites of Lucerne Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
May 23, 2005
This very old city is situated on the banks of Lake Lucerne and has beautiful mountains within easy visibility.

Very well known for the Chapel Bridge which was originally built in 1333 it is also home to the Lion Monument in a park just off Lowenplatz. The monument was created by Bertel Thorvaldsen to honor the more than 700 Swiss Guards who were massacred in the 1792 French revolution in Paris. It is a very detailed carving of a dying lion in the rock.

There are still portions of the wall which once surrounded the city and all eight of the tall watch towers.

Our stay in the city was at the Grand Hotel Europe, a satisfactory hotel about a mile from old town. Our dinner was at a fine Italian Restaurant.

Touristy, yes, but a wonderful city full of beautiful architecture and sights.
travelman727 says:
Roger, Lucerne looks lovely :-D
Posted on: Mar 02, 2008
jennjeff1 says:
X-Drive, I visited this city in 1986 before the bridge burned down. How was the bridge? Any evidence of the burn or re-construction? Thanks! ~Jeff
Posted on: Mar 02, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Sites of Lucerne

Lucerne, Switzerland
Well its been a while since my last blog, and I know you all are dying to learn about my most recent travels to Switzerland. Well here it is. I decided that I would stick with my plan of visiting a…sites Lucerne has to offer. First stop: Lowendenkmal. This is a lion statue erected in 1792 in honor of all the brave…
Beautiful Lucerne
I got to Switzerland on March 25th.  I was first struck by its beauty on the plane ride over.  We had to circle the airport a few times because there was a snow storm and we could not land.…sites in Lucerne.  The Lake, the old brigde, the old town square, the buildings, the churches, and of course…
Arriving to our actual Swiss destination
So we got up pretty early so that we could catch the early train to Lucerene becasue we were so unimpressed by Basel. We were in a hurry so we didn't get time to have a proper breakfast so we just se…sites in Lucerne. We bought some souveniers including a Swiss Army Knife! Then we headed to the grocery store…

Check Lucerne Hotel Deals