Singapore Zoo Reviews
Go bananas at the zoo! Oct 19, 2012
This is the best zoo i have ever been to.
To get there get the MRT to stop 'Ang Mo Kio' and get the bus number 138 from there to the zoo.
We thoroughly enjoyed our day in the zoo. The reasonably priced entrance fee of $20 allowed us a full three hours of roaming the zoo at our own pace.
It seemed to be a fabulous place to take children as well. There were elephant rides for an extra fee and there were multiple play areas at each animals pens for childen to amuse themselves with.
Throughout the day at selected times the staff feed the animals, we didn't see this unfortunately but the animals we did see were very receptive and lively towards the staff and day-trippers so i can imagine their feeding to be quite entertaining.
When we first entered, as well as the staff being delightfully welcoming and cheerful, we were hypnotised by this cheeky small furry tree monkey (cannot remember the name) who was trying to steal our crisps. Also, you can get photos with the parrots. It set a good standard as to the level of fun to come.
All of the animals seem content and had lots of space to roam around. The orangutans seem to have the run of the place as their enclosure is linked with a series of interlocking tree branches. They swing from tree to tree for hundreds of metres away from their enclosure.
The zoo specialises in monkeys. This was quite obvious as they have more species of monkeys than any i had ever been in before.
There was a heart-warming story of an orangutan who passed away in 2008 called Ah Meng, the restaurant in the zoo was named after her. She was such an integral part of the zoo when she was alive. She originally came to the zoo after being confiscated from somebody as she was an illegal tropical pet. She became the face of public relations for the zoo and was almost like a human. Also, we saw 2 guys riding around on one of the zoo cart's for the staff with 2 orungutans and a baby one. They were holding the guy's hands and all!
Great experience. Beautiful zoo.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
The Best Zoo In Town! Jun 18, 2011
By far, Singapore Zoo is one of the best zoo i've ever visited (can never compare with Zoo Negara =P)
What makes it one of the best Zoo ever? There's over 315 species of animals there with over 16% of them being endangered species. It has one of the largest captive colony of Orang Utan in the world.
The Zoo offers plenty of rides in it, including trams, wagons and so on. Definitely a place to bring your kids to.
They have plenty of animal shows including the Sea Lion show which i love the most. You can actually get the sea lion to kiss you.
If you're going to the Singapore Zoo, don't forget to visit the Night Safari & the Jurong bird Park. I've been to the Night Safari in Malacca, Malaysia and i think the Singapore one fare better!
The ticket price for an adult is about 20 Singapore Dollar.
Opening Hours is from 8.30 a.m till 6.00 pm
For more info, please check the Singapore Zoo official website.
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Singapore ZOO Apr 04, 2011
The best Zoo I've ever seen. I can't specify any part of it because I was fascinated by everything!
I was walking around but you can also take a bus tour.
First thing I noticed was that it didn't look like regular ZOO. There are no cages, bars... but all the animals look so natural in their habitats.
Everyone who visit Singapore should go there because it's definitely more interesting than tall buildings and other "big city stuff" that you can see in any other big city.
The only missing thing is aquarium. I red somewhere that Singapore has problem with water supply and most of the water is imported from Malaysia through the aqueduct so it's not hard to understand why the aquarium isn't there.
You can't hold that against them :)
A place for the kids AND kids at heart! Apr 27, 2010
Singapore Zoo is a great place for the kids AND kids at heart :)
Aside from seeing cool and rare animals, there are lots of other things you can enjoy at Singapore Zoo with your kids, loved ones, and friends:
1. Picture taking! - has to be first on the list, haha! ;)
2. Take the Tram (unlimited: Adult S$5 / Chiild S$3) - if you prefer not to walk. The place is quite big so you have to be ready to walk if you want to explore at your own pace. :)
3. Ride the Horse Carriage (S$6) - just like in the movies hehe...
4. Try the Elephant ride (S$8) - check the schedule and then hold on tight!
5. Guided tours (ranges from S$25 - $100)- get a chance to see featured animals up close and to pet & feed!
6. Watch "The Rainforest Fights Back" Show (free!) - see the animals 'perform' with the actors :)
7. Watch the "Splash Safari" Show (free!) - I really enjoyed this one! The sea lion was so cute and interactive!
8. See the "Elephants At Work & Play" (free!) - didn't get to see this one, so make sure to check the show schedules when you get there.
9. Visit the Rainforest Kidzworld - carousel (S$4), pony ride (S$6), KFC, Ben&Jerry's, water playground, Kampung House (try it!), pet the giant rabbit/goat/pony (free! but check the schedule)...
10. Try the Rainforest Challenge at Kidzworld - it's a playground with cool tug boats and mini zip line rides (yes, not just for kids! ;)
11. Do the Boat Ride (Adult S$5/Child S$3.50) - relax and feel the breeze...
12. Lunch? - there is KFC and Ah Meng Restaurant (serves Hainanese Chicken Rice Set, Barbecue Chicken, Biryani Rice Set - at S$8up; sandwiches; papadum; and fruit shakes & beverages)
13. Cool off at Ben & Jerry's (S$4-up)- I scream for ice cream! ;)
14. Snacks? - there is Pizzafari and Ah Meng Kopi
15. Souvenir Shops - scattered all over the park, get your cute stuffed toys and souvenir keepsakes here
ZOO HOURS: 830am-600pm
Admission fees: Adult S$18 / Child S$12
Zoo-per Saver (includes admission fee, unlimited Tram, single Boat ride): Adult S$25 / Child S$15
Park Hopper Specials: Get a discount on admission fees for seeing all 3 Parks (Zoo, Night Safari, Juring Bird Park) - Adult S$45 / Child S$28
*Prices & rates quoted were during my visit so it could and may change...
Don't forget to check bus schedules for your trip back! Cheapest way is by bus 138/927.
• At Ang Mo Kio station (NS16), take bus service #138 from the bus interchange.
• At Choa Chu Kang station (NS4-BP1), take bus service #927 from the bus interchange.
• From Orchard: by Bus Hub Service, bus stops available at Orchard Hotel (at Delfi Orchard), DFS Galleria, Sheraton Towers, Grand Hyatt Hotel, opposite Meritus Mandarin, opposite Hotel Rendezvous at Prinsep St, Tekka Mall, Claremont Hotel opp Mustafa Centre. www.bushub.com.sg
...And don't forget to HAVE FUN!! :)
4 / 4 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
...BEST ZOO PARK ALL OVER THE WORLD..!!!! Aug 28, 2010
Singapore is a fantastic city with high biotic level for the lands. From the main attractions in Singapore is the zoo park...All the brochures with activities for the city, recommend this.
When we arrived at the entrance, tickets desks had many people to wait.
From the first sight, you can understand that the next 6 hours, will be unforgetable...(!!!)
The park is large(28 hectare) and of course is very difficult to move by walking...Then, you can use the funny train.
At the entrance you can supply the map. It is very usefull because the park is a small chaos..(!)
Every day there are some highlights of the zoo. The stuff inform the visitors about the daily events of the zoo, for example the specific hour for feeding an animal, or an elephant show at tram stop number 4, between 3:00-3:30 hour.
It's sure, that you must spend 6-7 hours to see the park.
At the end, visit the zoo store for your shopping, or the 5 restaurants(kfc,pizza) for your stomach.
Enjoy it. It's the MUST of town..!!!
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy