Singapore Botanic Garden & National Orchid Garden

1 Cluny Road, Singapore, Singapore

Singapore Botanic Garden & National Orchid Garden Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Singapore Botanic Gardens Feb 23, 2012
The Botanic Gardens in Singapore are absolutely beautiful. They house, amongst other things, the National Orchid Collection, a concert hall, and numerous themed gardens based around different plant families. With lots of shade and plenty of beautiful plants and flowers, this is a great place to go to escape the city. My highlights included the ginger garden (the ginger family is far bigger than I thought it was, and has some of the most spectacular flowers in the plant world) and the National Orchid Collection. There is also an outdoor concert shell and numerous other specialist gardens. There are plenty of informative signs about the plants (I certainly didn’t know that Bananas are technically a kind of ginger), if you are interested in the natural history side of the collection. If you aren’t, it is still a stunningly lovely garden and a beautiful place to spend time. Also, there don’t seem to be any rules against having picnics here which would make it a perfect place for a date.

The gardens can obviously be enjoyed for their own sake, without you being an enormous nerd like me. However, if you are an enormous nerd, this is a great place to start a trip to South East Asia. It’s great to be heading into the rainforest with the faintest idea of what you are looking at, and I can now say with confidence that the “funny looking spider-plant tree thing” is a bromeliad, and that it is not a parasite but an epiphyte (it grows on other plants but doesn’t hurt them). Clearly, this knowledge is totally useless in everyday life, but it did make me very happy to know that when I was looking at funny looking spider-plant tree things.

Disabled access is probably variable – there are few steps, but plenty of steep slopes. I saw lots of happy children here. There are also large gift shops, plenty of places to buy food and soft drinks, and some cafes. Entrance to the gardens is free, but there is a small charge to enter the Orchid collection
pookie pookie
Lush and beautiful Nov 20, 2012
This was one of my favorite 'parks' to visit in Singapore. So many Orchids (my favorite) it's hard to see them all in just one trip! As expected, it gets very hot and sticky due to the humidity, bring lots of water and maybe a paper fan! I quite enjoyed getting gelato and wandering amongst the various plants and wildlife for a few hours. I would suggest going on a cooler day (if such one exists in Singapore) so you don't cave and run to the nearest air conditioned mall in less than an hour.
cotton_foam says:
I've been in this park years ago!!
Posted on: Jan 23, 2013
spocklogic says:
Seems a pleasant garden - Nice flower photos!
Posted on: Nov 21, 2012
christl3 christl3
Romantic Wander Oct 17, 2012
These were some of the most beautiful botanic gardens i'd ever been to.

The MRT dropped us right outside so there was no struggle to find the place.

Don't forget your sunglasses, hats and umbrellas as it is quite open for some of the walk.

There are multiple park maps as you walk around which make the trip very easy-going and simple to navigate.

There are birds and turtles and other interesting wildlife scattered around the gardens. My bf and i were keeping our eyes peeled for the giant monitor lizards the gardens claim to be home to but, alas, we did not see one!

The park is enormous with different areas of interest such as the ginger garden, the orchid garden, the remedy garden etc. The tracks lead from little winding trails through dense shrubbery to wide plazas around big lakes and fields for children to play.

It was a lovely, peaceful place with a variety of different plants and animals and it just looked fabulous.
S-Jay S-Jay
Beautiful Day Time Trip Dec 09, 2010
Arriving to a world full of smells & sounds.

Freshly cut grass, different perfumed flower smells all around. One could not imagine such beauty in one of the most modernized citys in the 21st Century.

Entering this Garden centre is unlike no other. You are surrounded by a world of beauty that I have never seen before. Flowers of all shapes, size, colours & smells.

With these beautiful things come the birds & the bee's plus beautiful flutter by butterflies. An amazing thing for all to see.

You can meander around the gardens at your leisure. With various different trails and tracks you need a full day here to enjoy the beauty & sights you will see. Within the park is a plant nursery with various other information centres relating to the various plant types.

This haven is a camerman/womans dream with lots of photo spots and oppertunites. My finger never left the click button.

The entrance to the Botanic Gardens is free & costs $5 Singapore dollors (at the time of my visit). I would advice anyone who struggles with walking to have a think about visiting this attraction due to the vast amount of land one needs to walk /cross to see the whole of the centre. Benches are located in various areas though you can go some time without seeing any.
Orchid Garden
A variety of colours
This later on during the day would…
A nice feature
bernard69 says:
a lovely where you can get a bowl of fresh air!
Posted on: Feb 14, 2012
ean030 ean030
Peaceful and beautiful Nov 15, 2010
If you need a break from shopping, eating and busteling around Singapore, the Botanic Garden and National Orchid Garden is well worth a visit.

The Botanic Gardens is a huge park filled with lakes, trees, flowers and open spaces. You can go for a jog, a walk, have picnic or just relax. If you get hungry there are resurants and a food court, but I recommend bringing a picnic lunch instead :)There is also an outdoor scene where there often is outdoor concerts. When I was there in 2008 there would be free outdoor concerts on one Sunday every month (think it was the first, but don't remember excatly).

Orchids have always been a favorite flower with me, so the National Orchid Garden was a must see for me! It was great! Its reputed to be the worlds largest orchid display with more than 60 000 plants and orchids. Who knew there were so many different orchids?

It gives you a really peaceful feeling to walk around looking at the orchids, and in the park in general, The bustle of the city seem so far far away. Its a peaceful, tranquil and beautiful place.

Entrance to the botanic gardens is free, the orchid garden costs 5 Singapore dollars. The food court is rather expensive and not very good compared to others in Singapore. The souvenir shops are like souvenir shops everywhere, but with many pretty (and pricy) orchidthemed things.
A lake in the Botanic Gardens
My favorite: the ghiraff orchid! (…
So many different types of orchids!
A classical concert by the Singapo…

Related Travel Blogs About Singapore Botanic Garden & National Orchid Garden

Singapore and Sea Days
When we arrived to the ship our luggage was already in our room waiting for us, so we spent some time unpacking. By the time we were done with unpacking it was time to eat dinner. We went to the Sant…Singapore Botanical Gardens. We quickly walked through the gardens until we found the National Orchid Gardens

Check Singapore Hotel Deals