Silom Thai Cooking School

68 Silom Soi 13, Bangkok, Thailand

Silom Thai Cooking School Bangkok Reviews

aelder2259 aelder22…
Fantastic Thai Cooking School With Lots of Bang for Buck! Apr 15, 2009
I found the Silom Thai Cooking School listed in Lonely Planet and visited the website to get more information. Being a graphic designer, I liked their logo and their website wasn't that bad compared to other Asian sites I have visited (I'm pretty critical of websites). I called the school and Nusi answered. He took down my name, hotel and room number and promised send a fax with instructions for the next day's class. The cost - 1000 Baht (about $28 U.S.)

I met up with Nusi the next day at the hotel he specified, which was only a few blocks from my own hotel. After collecting everybody, we headed to the market to buy our ingredients. Nusi was very good about showing different varieties of peppers, ginger, basil, etc. and explained how each ingredient was different in taste and in which dishes they were used. I really appreciated that because with so many varieties, it can be quite daunting to shop by yourself.

After we walked back to his cooking school, he had us wash our hands, then wash all the produce thoroughly. The others handled the produce while I peeled and deveined the shrimp.

The first dis we prepared was Thai fried rice. We each chopped up our ingredients, then following Nusi's directions, we fried them in a wok. The recipe was really pretty simple once you knew which ingredients were key to a successful dish. When I make it, I will probably add a tad more fish sauce than what he gave us to use.

The next two dishes were both fried. One was egg rolls and the other was deep fried banana. We sauteed carrot, mung bean noodles that had been soaking (also called glass noodles), garlic, and cabbage, then rolled it in an egg roll wrapper. Next, we prepared the ingredients for the banana batter. Once these were coated, we were ready to fry them and the egg rolls. Nusi did the frying. Kate made the sweet chili dipping sauce for the egg rolls.

While we ate our egg rolls and banana, we took turns pounding the ingredients for the red curry paste.

The next dish was curry noodle soup with shrimp. We had taken the coconut pulp and added water, which we mixed up and then squeezed the milk through a sieve. Nusi boiled some wheat noodles and fried some wheat noodles, too. The ingredients for our soup were added to a wok, then poured over the boiled noodles in our bowls. The fried noodles were added as a garnish. The soup had just the right amount of chili hotness to it and it was so good! I can't wait to make this dish at home!

The final dish was a green papaya salad and sticky rice. This dish was also easy to prepare, but I didn't really care much for it.

I was a little concerned about hygiene before attending this class, but Nusi kept things very clean. Besides having us washing everything, he gave us gloves when we were squeezing the coconut milk. There was plenty of room to work, too.

I recommend taking this class if you have an interest in cooking. It's pretty cheap and you eat a lot of food in the process. Plus, Nusi is a wonderful instructor with very good English so you can understand what he is saying.

ขอขอบคุณสำหรับวิเศษคลาส, Nusi!
crawdad1 says:
Having lived in Bangkok for almost 2 years, I finally decided to learn how to cook Thai. Wow, what an experience--to finally be able to go to the market and know what to buy!! I took 2 classes at Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy. There are also many others to choose from, but I was very pleased. Learn to cook in the town you live; it will save you lots of money. Ron
Posted on: Jan 17, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Silom Thai Cooking School

Silom Thai Cooking School
This morning, I walked to the Narai Hotel to meet my cooking instructor, Nusi, and the other students. It was only a couple of blocks from my hotel. After we all met, we walked to the market near my …This morning, I walked to the Narai Hotel to meet my cooking instructor, Nusi, and the other students. It was…
Siam Niramit
Rather than sit in my room all day tomorrow and having seen all the popular sites, I just signed up for another cooking class at a different school. It's very close to my hotel (walking distance) and…Silom Thai Cooking School . The class runs from 9am to 1pm and includes a trip to the market to buy the ingredients. The school was recommended in my Bangkok

Check Bangkok Hotel Deals