Silk Farm

Silk Farm, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Silk Farm Siem Reap Reviews

whites81 whites81
Silk Farm Feb 17, 2010
I was impressed from the second we arrived. I didn't expect it to be modern..:)

We were greeted by the silk farm tour guide. The man was genuinely friendly. First stop was the mulberry field, then the worm house where they place the mulberry leaves there and be eaten by the worms. He explained the life circle of the worms. After laying eggs, worm dies. Some cocoons will go to the silk process, while some is kept to be breeded again.

He showed also how the house poles were circled by mini water pond, to avoid ants from coming in.

Then he took us see the women behind the making of silk. It was nicely organized. First was the woman who cooks the cocoons and extracts silk thread from the pan, then it goes to coloring, then to the big machine to be placed in rolls.

The color ingredients were extracted, combined, and cooked, from either flower, or plants.

At end of the tour, we're taken to the merchandise store. A neat and chic store where vibrant and rich color and texture and designs from silk were shown and sold. We bought ourselves shawls, for U$3. It was beautifully and precisely made by hand, I understand now why silk is that precious.

They have little coffeeshop at the backyard, which is right after the exit from the store. A cozy place to sit around and order lunch, but my friend treated himself an ice cream instead. Fits more to the hot sun.
Silk Farm at Siem Reap