Sigiriya Rock Fortress

Seegiriya

Sigiriya Rock Fortress Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Sigiriya Jun 02, 2013
It is located 10 km from Dambulla and be easily reach by public bus from Dambulla bus station as bus depart every half hours from 7 in the morning to 7 at night and cost Rs30 one way.

This soaring pillar of rock called Sigiriya is a historic site and has beautiful mural painting on it is walls and amazing view from the top of the rock. The entrance fee is quite steep at usd30 per person for foreigner and this fee included museum entrance as well which located at the back of the ticket office with a long walkway pass a large pond.

If you are afraid of height or has difficulty walk up the stairs, this place might be a problem as it is quite steep climb and it takes at least an hour or more to climb up one way depending of your health and how fast you can walk. Plenty of local people hang around the entrance to the site and approach you to offer their “service”. It is not necessary to have a guide to go up there but if you do, negotiate the fee carefully.
walk way to the rock temple
sweettangerine says:
Thank you very much for the advice! By lack of time, I often travel on group tours... so hopefully it would be less bad then? Or I better find myself a male companion then ;-)
gingerbatik says:
just be careful with local man if you go to Sri Lanka. I had a very hard time there especially I travel alone. To many man stared and wants to chit chat and even follow me around. A bit scary. I usually back to my hotel or guesthouse by 6pm and never venture outside at night time. It was very strange feeling to be back before night time. I talked to several females who travel there alone,and they enjoy Sri Lanka but not in my case. I actually hate Sri Lanka. and I met another female who travel alone there and also a couple volunteer from the Netherlands has similar feeling with me. Keep in mind, it is my experience, maybe other has different experience and if you take tour, probably okay.
sweettangerine says:
Thanks for the great reviews! I definitely want to go to Sri Lanka now. It's on my bucket list :-)
ruwantrips ruwantri…
Must see attraction in Sri Lanka Nov 29, 2012
Seegiriya, the Amazing creation in Sri Lankan history.

Seegiriya rock fortress is an amazing creation in Sri Lankan history. It is a world heritage site and located in the Matale District in the Central Province of Sri Lanka. It is within the cultural triangle, which includes five of the eight world heritage sites in Sri Lanka.

In 5th centure AD,Kashayapa seized the throne from his farther king Dhatusena with the assistance of Migara who was king’s nephew and army commander. Kashyapa, the king’s son by a non-royal consort, usurped the throne from the rightful heir, Moggallana, who fled to South India. Fearing an attack from Moggallana, Kashyapa moved the capital and his residence from the traditional capital of Anuradhapura to the more secure Sigiriya. During King Kashyapa’s reign (477 to 495), Sigiriya was developed into a complex city and fortress. Most of the elaborate constructions on the rock summit and around it, including defensive structures, palaces, and gardens, date back to this period
Seegiriya