Sights of Nara

Nara City Japan, Nara, Japan
Sights of Nara - Kofukuji (5 storey Pagoda)
Sights of Nara - Me with a deer
Sights of Nara - more deer
Sights of Nara - Todaiji Temple
Sights of Nara - Tamuke-yama Hachimangu Shrine

Sights of Nara Reviews

aussielivinginjapan aussieli…
Mar 31, 2004
Nara makes for a great day trip from Kyoto. Nara was the orginal capital of Japan.

The main sight in Nara is Nara Deer park. Along the walk to Nara park there are several places to stop off and see.

Kofukuji (five storey pagoda) is one of the main sights along the way to stop and see it was once considerd the symbol of Nara you will find a few deer wandering around the grounds here too.

Opposite Kofukuji is Sarusawa pond and you will find many turtles in the pond.

Further down is the Nara National Museum which is home to buddhist arts and sculptures.

After here you will enter into the Nara Deer Park area. You will see many deer walking around and you can buy special deer food senbai crackers.

Some of the main sights in Nara park are Todai-Ji which is home to the Big Buddah. It is said to be the largest wooden structure in the world. Some people believe if you touch the buddah he will heal any health aliments which you may have.

Tamuke-yama Hachimangu Shrine further along was built to protect the Big Buddah and is now designated a National Treasure.

There are many other shrines and temple to see some of them include:

* Kasuga Taisha at the far end of Nara park - It is said that it protects the city as it was founded when Nara was declared the Capital of Japan

* Ukimi-do - a gazebo by the water and popular as a subject for many photographers.

* Himuro-jinja Shrine - A famous shrine dedicated to the god of ice.

* Shin Yakushi-ji Temple - This is the temple houses the Buddah of medicine.

Nara is well worth a visit if you are staying Kyoto and want a great day trip.

NOTE: The deer in the deer park are very tame and will try to approch you looking for food sometimes they can be quiet aggressive if you do have food.
Kofukuji (5 storey Pagoda)
Me with a deer
more deer
Todaiji Temple

Related Travel Blogs About Sights of Nara

Nara
Nara is great place as sight seeing of Japan. I went to there with my french friend. Then I made plan of it. I wanted him to try Japanese tea. Nara is convenient for tourist because some good place a…Nara is great place as sight seeing of Japan. I went to there with my french friend. Then I made…
English Guided Tour in Nara
So today I lined up an English speaking tour guide for a tour of Nara.  I came here a few nights ago, but I pretty much just walked around and gaped at shit, so I thought it would be a much bett…Nara .   The hall itself is a sight - large, intricate, ornate, etc., but inside the hall is a 50+ foot…
Deer in town
Well this was weird. Despite of fact that there was raining all day long - at the street crossing in Nara town we met a funny guy - Andrew - from New Zeeland (? was he from NZ? - i rememer this like …Nara. We started from food place - some japanese pancakes i guess. Then we started visiting the sights. As we walked…

Check Nara Hotel Deals