Sights in Jamaica

Sights in Jamaica Reviews

Jemennuie Jemennuie
Jamaica Dos and Don'ts Feb 16, 2009
A lot of people are wary of venturing off of a resort area in Jamaica. I can tell you first hand it is well worth it. The resort areas while very nice are not "real" Jamaica. We paid a local to take us around and he showed us very nice public beaches and sights. Ocho Rios and Montego Bay although well talked about are not really anything special in my book. Negril was one of the nicer touristy towns. Also, Montego Bay isn't near anything to do. It gets a bit boring at night unless you want to constantly go with the bar scene. There is a small town about five minutes away (Lucea)where you can find local places. St. Elizabeth Parish is lovely. Lover's Leap, the many caves and the Black River are worth seeing. The Milk River Bath and Bull Head mountain Range in Clarendon as well as the plantations are interesting. As much as I like Bob Marley Margaritaville and the like were not all that amazing. Places the locals visit are much better. Jamaica has a rich culture and it's worth getting to see. Despite many beliefs there is not as much poverty in Jamaica as there is in many other Islands. That's not to say you won't find people asking for money or a pick pocket or two. I found it to be much safer than I had thought however. The Capitol has urban poverty and a bit more crime. The island isn't that big. If you're going for a good period of time try to see a lot of it. All in all I found Jamaica to be a good place to visit especially if you're trying to escape a New York winter.
sylviandavid says:
Very good review.... Sylvia
Posted on: Feb 21, 2009
Jemennuie says:
That's good that kind of travel is a lot better. I couldn't convince my friend that it was safe enough not to stay on a resort. Once we got there she was fine but we had already booked it then. It was much less intimidating than the Dominican Republic and a few other islands I've been to though so happy travels.
Posted on: Feb 16, 2009
aotw says:
I wouldn't travel there in a resort, I go as far as I can from resort in any country I travel to. But it's nice to know that Jamaica is not as dangerous as it's said.
Posted on: Feb 16, 2009