Sierra Nevada Mountains, California

Yosemite National Park, California

Sierra Nevada Mountains, California Yosemite National Park Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Like the Swiss Alps May 12, 2013
The Sierra Nevada Mountain ranges are a combination of different peaks that offer an amazing scenic beauty. Mount Whitney is the highest peak of the Sierra ranges, at a little over 14,000 ft, it is a bucket list destination for many hikers and mountain climbers. The range runs along the eastern edge of California and runs as far north as the edge of the Mohave Desert.

Words fail me when I start to thing of describing the range. My family and I, drove through the Sierra National Forest, through Yosemite Valley, along the Tioga Pass all the way to mono Lake and to Death valley. The views of the mountain ranges reminded me of the beautiful Swiss Alps. I forgot I wa sin California, I could not believe such beauty was a days drive away from me and I had never been there.

My camera was clicking every step of the way because I did not want to miss a thing.The outstanding skylines, breath-taking landscapes, and the unique physical feature of the area make it one of the wonders of California and United States.

Besides Mount Whitney, you have the famous El Capitan in Yosemite Valley, Half Dome, Cathedral Peak, Mount Williamson, mammoth Mountain, Mount Tallac, Minarates, mount Dana, Mount Langley, Mount Ritter, Mount Conness, Sentinel Dome, Matterhorn Peak, North Palisades, Banner Peak and a few others. As you can see, the Sierra Nevadas are made of many different peaks, all of which create a mountain phenomena.

from the visitor center at the park, one of the information clerks mentioned that getting a camper's map would give us the best locations to go hiking the various ranges that make up the Sierra ranges. Mark and I, have added the ranges to our like of destinations to go hiking.

Driving along Tioga Pass, gave us the opportunity to see the different peaks of the Sierra Mountain ranges. I recommend entering or leaving Yosemite via Tioga Pass to capture the views and enjoy the different and unique features of the mountains.

PS: Do not leave for tomorrow what you can do today!
DHaworth DHaworth
Siera Mountains And Yosemite. Sep 01, 2005
The Sierra Nevada mountains in California is a life changing experience to say the least. I usually enjoy backpacking into the outback of the wilderness. If you go into Yosemite you will have to share elbow room with hundreds of tourists. Forget this, you will not see the untouched beauty of California if you take that route. Im going to let you in on a little secret. Get your hands on a AAA camping guide to the sierras,This map will have all camping locations and details. Locate on the map a trailhead named Quartz mountain(Trailhead is a location to park a car or a begining of a trail).Quartz mountain is 7000 in elevation. Once hiking on the Quartz mountain trail, follow the primitive postings to Chain Lakes. Follow your way, stay on the trail. This area is steep and should be taken by experienced hikers and extreme campers. The hike will take between 7 - 10 hours depending on your speed. One there you will find an oasis within California Sierras. Its a nature made water slide from rock, connecting to three lakes. Thats all i will say, the rest is so secret. Once you arrive you will understand. Age appropriate for this hike is 13 - 65. Maybe you will catch a glimpse of Mallamuts, Black bears. Much more wildlife out here then with the tourists, and unspoiled. I always take a compass, military MREs for food, water purification tablets, toilet paper, i have a laundry list of items. In short prepare like a survivalist. Cost is a minimal $2.50 for trailhead parking.
In the Sierra's with my dog Heston.
DHaworth says:
Yes it is doable. If you stop into a AAA you can get a california trail map. It will be listed there. It is one of the best hikes Ive ever experienced. Beats all the yosemite sights for sure.
Posted on: Jun 01, 2009
sojourner74 says:
i'm visiting san francisco in sept. Is the trail doable in september?
Posted on: Jun 01, 2009

Compare Yosemite Village Hotel Rates (4.4km away)

Yosemite National Park Map